General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

alternator install?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 03:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default alternator install?

i was wondering what steps to follow to install an alternator.

thanks
steve
Old 04-05-2006, 03:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, disconnect the negative battery terminal just to be safe. Then you need to remove the belt. Put a rachet and socket on the belt tensioner pulley and remove the belt. Then jack up the car (alt is on the bottom of the drivers side if you didn't already know) and there are 3 bolts you need to remove, maybe 4 if I remember correctly. Once you remove them you can pull the alt out, just disconnect the 2 wires in the back and you're done. Installation is the reverse.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:57 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Disconnect the battery. If not, you'll get a spark show like me

Three bolts hold it in. Two are plainly obvious, and you'll see them as you look at the alternator from the front of the car. There is a third that comes in from the opposite direction, and is a much shorter bolt, towards the top of the alternator. There is a nut that holds one of the wires on. That's the easy wire. There is also a wire that goes into the top of the black plastic piece on the back of the alternator, held in place by a weatherpack connector. You'll need to unclip it, just like you would any of your other weatherpack connectors. This is the wire to watch out for, as it is small, and can easily break.

Once the three bolts are out, and the two wires are disconnected, you can safely remove the alternator. It might be a little tight, so you might need a flathead screwdriver to do some prying. You'll also have to do some manuevering to get it around the sway bar.

Not a terrible job, but can be frustrating.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:17 PM
On The Tree

thanks, thats my project on thursday.

hey meentss02 what type of rims you have on your car?
Old 04-05-2006, 04:40 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

18" CCW SP500s
Old 04-05-2006, 04:49 PM
12 Second Club

MeentSS02 I think I might have damaged my weatherpack wire during the last install, any idea what that does? Hopefull it sends a signal to my guage cluster, my volt readings have been low ever since. And they vary10-13volts. Even at 10volts the lights don't dim with the stereo on full blast,
Old 04-05-2006, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here this might help you out.....Sorry could not get the pictures.

2001 Pontiac Firebird

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Generator Replacement 5.7L Engine
Removal Procedure

Caution
Before servicing any electrical component, the ignition key must be in the OFF or LOCK position and all electrical loads must be OFF, unless instructed otherwise in these procedures. If a tool or equipment could easily come in contact with a live exposed electrical terminal, also disconnect the negative battery cable. Failure to follow these precautions may cause personal injury and/or damage to the vehicle or its components.

Disconnect the negative battery cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnect/Connect Procedure .
Remove the accessory drive belt. Refer to Drive Belt Replacement - Accessory in Engine Mechanical - 5.7L.
Raise and suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
Remove the positive cable from the generator:
Slide the boot back along the cable.
Remove the positive cable nut (at generator).
Remove the positive cable from the stud.

Remove the generator rear bracket mounting bolt (1).

Remove the transmission oil cooler lines from the oil cooler clip.
Remove the generator front mounting bolts and oil cooler clip.

Disconnect the generator electrical connector (3).
Remove the generator.
Installation Procedure

Install the generator.
Connect the generator electrical connector (3).

Notice
Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Install the generator front mounting bolts and oil cooler clip. Tighten
Tighten the generator mounting bolts to 50 N·m (37 lb ft).

Install the transmission oil cooler lines to the oil cooler clip.

Install the generator rear mounting bolt (1) (at generator). Tighten
Tighten the generator rear mounting bolt (at generator) to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

Install the positive cable to the generator:
Install the positive cable to the stud.
Install the positive cable nut (at generator). Tighten
Tighten the positive cable nut (at generator) to 22 N·m (16 lb ft).

Slide the boot over the generator stud.
Lower the vehicle.
Install the accessory drive belt. Refer to Drive Belt Replacement - Accessory in Engine Mechanical - 5.7L.
Connect the negative battery cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnect/Connect Procedure .
Old 04-06-2006, 06:50 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by B.W.
MeentSS02 I think I might have damaged my weatherpack wire during the last install, any idea what that does? Hopefull it sends a signal to my guage cluster, my volt readings have been low ever since. And they vary10-13volts. Even at 10volts the lights don't dim with the stereo on full blast,
Hmmmmmmmm...if your car is still running, chances are, the alternator is fine. Your car wouldn't run without it for very long, that's for sure.

With how small that wire is, I'd say your guess about it sending a signal is probably a pretty good one. But in all honesty, I know not what this wire does
Old 04-06-2006, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

What kind of alternator did you get. If you got an aftermarket high output alternator you may need to have someone bump your idle up a bit. If you hold the gas at about 1000 rpm's does your idle stay stable?
Old 04-07-2006, 01:54 AM
On The Tree

i need help!!!!!!!!!!! how the heck do you get the two top bolts to line back up? is there some trick to doing it? or do i have to get lucky and just keep pushing?

next time im paying someone to do this. lol
Old 04-07-2006, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Question

Top 2 bolts? You mean the 2 front bolts or the rear bolt. Everything should line up fine.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:49 AM
TECH Regular

how do you get to the bolt behind (on the back of) the alternator?...i swear im retarded, looked at it for like 30mins then gave up, unless im doing somehing wrong, but it doesnt look like there is any way to get to it...
Old 12-30-2006, 11:01 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by PewterNHRA2001
how do you get to the bolt behind (on the back of) the alternator?...i swear im retarded, looked at it for like 30mins then gave up, unless im doing somehing wrong, but it doesnt look like there is any way to get to it...
I just needed an extension, but I have headers, so things are a little easier for me to get to in general under there.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:11 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,060 Posts

That little red wire is the field/exciter wire. It needs to be connected to the alternator for the unit to produce proper voltage. This wire provides "priming" current to the internal alternator field windings, it excites the alternator when the ignition switch is in the run position and makes it charge. If it's not connected, you will not get proper charging out of the alternator.

You should be seeing 13v+ at all times when the car is running, unless you have a lot of accessories running at idle or something (A/C, headlights, rear defroster, etc.).