Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sticky throttle after TNT install

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sticky throttle after TNT install

I had this guy put my TNT nitrous kit on and I now have a sticky throttle. I took the kit off and my gas pedal is still sticking when you first push on it.
When I try to move forward gracefully my car lunges like I'm trying to race somebody, it's embarrasing.

With the TNT kit there is a power ring with a set screw, could the set screw have been tightened to much? My throttle body was also grinded on to make the power ring fit, but I don't see how that could have caused the problem.

Any ideas on what I might try to do to fix it or should I get a new throttle body.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Are you talking about the small screw on the top of the ring? That is just to hold it in place, I don't think it would have any effect on your problem. Why did you have to machine the throttlebody? Is it an aftermarket? The power ring should fit over a stock throttlebody no problem.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lets try this in the N20 section
Old 04-06-2006, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

Make sure the throttle blade is centered in the TB. If it isn't loosen the two screws that hold it in and try and adjust the best as possible. It sounds to me like that blade is dragging on one of sides of the TB.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie's 02 T/A vert.
I had this guy put my TNT nitrous kit on and I now have a sticky throttle. I took the kit off and my gas pedal is still sticking when you first push on it.
When I try to move forward gracefully my car lunges like I'm trying to race somebody, it's embarrasing.

With the TNT kit there is a power ring with a set screw, could the set screw have been tightened to much? My throttle body was also grinded on to make the power ring fit, but I don't see how that could have caused the problem.

Any ideas on what I might try to do to fix it or should I get a new throttle body.

Any help is appreciated.
Im kinda lost as well as to what you are asking?? Where exactly is it dragging the throttle?? Thanks David@TNT
Old 04-06-2006, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, I'm talking about the small set screw on the top of the power ring. I thought maybe if it were over tightened it may have tweaked the throttle housing, I'm just guessing.

The person who installed it grinded my throttle body because he said the power ring wouldn't slide over the throttle body. Looks like *** too, that *****.

I bought the kit new from Thunder racing.

It's plain and simple, when you press on the gas pedal it's stuck, until you push real hard and then it breaks loose and the car lunges forward.

I will try to make an adjustment like you said TheLS1kid.

My throttle was fine until this guy put the TNT kit on.

Thanks for the replies, anymore thoughts?
Old 04-07-2006, 08:36 AM
Teching In

I dont have nitrous but my car did the same thing. It was because the set screw for the throttle blade had been removed on my new TB. I put in a new one and its back to normal. I dont know why it did that but that's what it was.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes, I'm talking about the small set screw on the top of the power ring. I thought maybe if it were over tightened it may have tweaked the throttle housing, I'm just guessing.

The person who installed it grinded my throttle body because he said the power ring wouldn't slide over the throttle body. Looks like *** too, that *****.

I bought the kit new from Thunder racing.

It's plain and simple, when you press on the gas pedal it's stuck, until you push real hard and then it breaks loose and the car lunges forward.

I will try to make an adjustment like you said TheLS1kid.

My throttle was fine until this guy put the TNT kit on.

Thanks for the replies, anymore thoughts?
Im sorry you are having such a bad experience, you need to find the point at which it is rubbing.. Please list who did the install, and I will make sure that no one is sent there for future installs.. Let me know what we can do to help, thanks David@TNT..
Old 04-07-2006, 05:08 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Ok, there is a little thing you can do to free this up.. First take the body off and see if you can feel it sicking just with your hand. If so look at the blade to see where the little scratches are. Second make sure the buttery area is perfectly clean. Take 400+grit sand paper strips and lightly rub those areas. Still sticking. flip the paper over so the grit is on the butterfly, slightly close the buttery fly just tell you have a little drag on the sand paper now pull the paper out. See that helps.

Last lee when he was grinding on the unit he could have gotten trash inside the throttle body not noticed it, and force the butterfly closed, tweeking the shaft. Sorry its hard to explain everything in great detail, if you want to call me be more than glad to explain over the phone.
888-463-2781
Ricky
Old 04-07-2006, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thank you David and thank you Ricky, I sure appreciate your support. It's my own fault for not taking my car to a professional shop for the install. After removing the Nitrous kit myself in less then an hour I wished I had just put it on myself.

I'm going to take the throttle body off tomorrow and do like you said Ricky. If that doesn't do the trick I may need to buy a new TB. Mine looks like **** now anyways. Thanks for the phone contact, I'll keep it handy.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:41 PM

Thank you David and thank you Ricky, I sure appreciate your support. It's my own fault for not taking my car to a professional shop for the install. After removing the Nitrous kit myself in less then an hour I wished I had just put it on myself.

I'm going to take the throttle body off tomorrow and do like you said Ricky. If that doesn't do the trick I may need to buy a new TB. Mine looks like **** now anyways. Thanks for the phone contact, I'll keep it handy.
If you do deside to toss it, throw it my way, I would like to look at it.. Remember to remover the least amount of material needed. Any it could need enough removal to work smoothly the car might idle higher.. just remove a little and check remove and chek.
Ricky
Old 04-26-2006, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks to all of your help I got my sticking throttle fixed. Yea, I'm so happy.

The first thing I did was the sandpaper trick and I was able to get a big improvement, however it was still sticking some of the time. Then I looked at the position of the blade in the closed position and it seemed to close to far, so I adjusted the set screw with an allen wrench from the bottom side and turned it only a half turn, bingo it works better then new.

Thanks again.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:13 PM

Great glad to hear.
Ricky
Old 04-26-2006, 05:37 PM
10 Second Club

i did the same thing when i first put my kit on. set screw was too tight, loosened it up and VIOLA! throttle works normal again
Old 04-26-2006, 06:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

obviously not your problem since it does it with the kit removed, but sometimes, depending on how the wires are routed for the solenoids they can hang up on the throttle assembly.i had to do a little bending the the solenoid bracket to make sure the solenoids cleared the cruise control cable, too. and getting that ring on the throttlebody was a BITCH. i dread the time when i may have to take it back apart for some reason.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea, the set screw that I'm talking about is for the throttle blade and you have to turn it from the bottom to adjust the position of the throttle blade, it didn't effect my idle rpm either

The guy that installed the kit had a hell of a time getting the power ring on there too, he grinded the crap out of my throttle housing to get the ring on there. I wonder why that ring is such a bitch to get on?