Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Which 4.10 Gears for Stock Rear End

Old 04-06-2006, 12:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which 4.10 Gears for Stock Rear End

I'm looking at putting 4.10 gears in my '02 TransAm. It's an M6 car with 22K miles. The only mods are the air box and a Corsa "Cat Back" system.

There may be the possibility of some future mods like headers and y-pipe. Heads and cam are still up in the air.

Even with these mods, I'm at over 5,000 feet in elevation, so I loose about 80 rwhp.....so it's not like I'm putting a ton of power to the ground.

I want to beef up the rear end a little though. Should I go with an Auburn diff? What gears should I use? Any other suggestions?

Who should I buy from (sponsors)?

I appreciate your help.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:23 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I would do is install some gears, I wouldn't spend any money on a different posi unit. You could stick a 4 cyl in your car and still break the rear with a pair of sticky tires and a six speed. I have seen brand new Richmond gears completely strip their gears on the first pass on a 7.5 rear, and I have seen off brand gears hold up for a while, so it doesn't appear that a brand name on the gears is going to make any difference. Bob
Old 04-06-2006, 10:11 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
All I would do is install some gears, I wouldn't spend any money on a different posi unit. You could stick a 4 cyl in your car and still break the rear with a pair of sticky tires and a six speed. I have seen brand new Richmond gears completely strip their gears on the first pass on a 7.5 rear, and I have seen off brand gears hold up for a while, so it doesn't appear that a brand name on the gears is going to make any difference. Bob

Thanks for the input. I guess I should mention that the car is not a race car (although I'll take it out to the strip maybe once every year or two).

The car doesn't/won't have slicks. It has 275's that have better grip than the stock Eagle F1's.

I do like to drop the clutch and roast the tires though.

Anybody else have more opinions on what route I should go?

Search this Thread