Racer's Lounge - Teacher Blows Off Hand With Paper Weight

Wnts2Go10O
04-06-2006, 06:09 PM
VENTURA, California (AP) -- A teacher who kept a 40 mm shell on his desk as a paperweight blew off part of his hand when he apparently used the object to try to squash a bug, authorities say.

The 5-inch-long shell exploded Monday while Robert Colla was teaching 20 to 25 students at an adult education class.

Part of Colla's right hand was severed and he suffered severe burns and minor shrapnel wounds to his forearms and torso, fire Capt. Tom Weinell said. No one else was injured. He was reported in stable condition at a hospital.

The teacher slammed the shell down in an attempt to kill something that was buzzing or crawling across the desk, said Fire Marshal Glen Albright.

Colla found the 40 mm round while hunting years ago and "obviously he didn't think the round was live," said Dennis Huston, who teaches computer design alongside Colla.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Car RamRod
04-06-2006, 06:17 PM
that's gonna leave a mark

Superman09
04-06-2006, 06:19 PM
it'll buff out :)

zlover129
04-06-2006, 06:22 PM
that's a big ass paper weight, i bet he was a kool ass teacher too.

Wnts2Go10O
04-06-2006, 06:24 PM
until the point he though "hey its still intact, but its not live"

John Milner 810
04-06-2006, 06:31 PM
that wasnt quiet.....haha.

bzzzz....bzzzzzz....bzz bzzzzzz bzzzzzz ("damn bug").bzzzz

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GGGG
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WILWAXU
04-06-2006, 06:34 PM
lesson today kids is don't play with active munitions :D

Not really that big, simular in size to a hand grenade. It's a round used for MK19 or M203. Story doesn't elaborate as to which one.

M203: (Barrel underneath)
http://www.hqmc.usmc.mil/factfile.nsf/0/d50a120f00de543d8525627b006b1fec/$FILE/M203.JPG
http://www.hqmc.usmc.mil/factfile.nsf/0/d50a120f00de543d8525627b006b1fec?OpenDocument

MK-19:
http://www.hqmc.usmc.mil/factfile.nsf/0/9867a7c6f72a0ad08525627c006cb4ef/$FILE/MK19MOD3.JPG
http://www.hqmc.usmc.mil/factfile.nsf/0/9867a7c6f72a0ad08525627c006cb4ef?OpenDocument

I've fired both. The MK-19 is a grenade machine gun, it's a blast to shoot (no pun intended)

slick1851
04-06-2006, 06:35 PM
I would shit my pants if I was asleep in back of the class and somthing liek that went off lol sounds like a cool teacher.

freakynipples69
04-06-2006, 06:43 PM
Let me use the chalk with my strong hand

NHRAMAN
04-06-2006, 06:44 PM
Smart Guy... :jest:

1gen
04-06-2006, 06:45 PM
hahaha BOOM "wwhhhhhhhhatttt?"

Drew's TA
04-06-2006, 06:45 PM
Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Haha, I woulda left that part out. Made me laugh for some reason.

Wnts2Go10O
04-06-2006, 06:48 PM
lesson today kids is don't play with active munitions :D

Not really that big, simular in size to a hand grenade. It's a round used for MK19 or M203. Story doesn't elaborate as to which one.

M203: (Barrel underneath)
http://www.hqmc.usmc.mil/factfile.nsf/0/d50a120f00de543d8525627b006b1fec/$FILE/M203.JPG
http://www.hqmc.usmc.mil/factfile.nsf/0/d50a120f00de543d8525627b006b1fec?OpenDocument

MK-19:
http://www.hqmc.usmc.mil/factfile.nsf/0/9867a7c6f72a0ad08525627c006cb4ef/$FILE/MK19MOD3.JPG
http://www.hqmc.usmc.mil/factfile.nsf/0/9867a7c6f72a0ad08525627c006cb4ef?OpenDocument

I've fired both. The MK-19 is a grenade machine gun, it's a blast to shoot (no pun intended)

depends on era i would think. i have a spent 40mm AA shell from WW2

WILWAXU
04-06-2006, 06:50 PM
depends on era i would think. i have a spent 40mm AA shell from WW2True.. funny enough, it happen right up the road from me. Need to do a little research ;)

Wnts2Go10O
04-06-2006, 06:57 PM
True.. funny enough, it happen right up the road from me. Need to do a little research ;)
near a base?

chaman
04-06-2006, 07:00 PM
Did he killed the bug???

camaroextra
04-06-2006, 07:01 PM
and these fools are teaching our next generation? :bang:

zlover129
04-06-2006, 07:59 PM
and these fools are teaching our next generation? :bang:

honestly any of us probably could have made a mistake like that. I mean you have this ting sitting on your desk that you found in the woods, no telling how old it is and probably dead. I probably could have done the same thing

camaroextra
04-06-2006, 08:03 PM
honestly any of us probably could have made a mistake like that. I mean you have this ting sitting on your desk that you found in the woods, no telling how old it is and probably dead. I probably could have done the same thing

well if he was hunting he probably understands the basics of how a gun works, im not sure how you couldnt tell that the round wasnt discharged

slowpoke96z28
04-06-2006, 08:05 PM
probably the primer and powder went off. luckily the round itself didn't arm. wilwaxu, still waiting on the awards writing PME, chief. haha.

CrabhartLS1
04-06-2006, 08:25 PM

:jest: uh oh... :eek:

msgZ28
04-06-2006, 08:25 PM
How that didn't hurt anyone else will forever remain a mystery to me. If it was a 40mm grenade, well hell, 40mm anything, it should have killed him and at least injured quite a few students. The only thing that would have saved them if it was a 40mm grenade is the minimum arming distance which is, I want to say 30 feet? Been awhile since I've played with them. Either way, the guy is a retard for handling ordinace and the school staff is just as retarded if they knew what is was and let him keep it.

The same 40mm round is used in both the 203 and mk19.

akZ28
04-06-2006, 08:33 PM

Only a fuckin idiot could make a mistake like that.

slowpoke96z28
04-06-2006, 08:41 PM
you're right devil, give or take a few feet. never knew anyone that tried it to verify it though, haha. anyway, with no chamber to hold the casing, it sounds like the case just banana peeled and the round itself didn't go very far. also, some HE and HEDP rounds are short changed on the powder, so that may contribute to the minimal injuries as well. i've had entire cans of bad MK19 ammo. every third or fourth round would jam. after disassembly, i noticed that the bolt was not going all the way back due to short recoil. tried on 3 different guns and the same thing. it sucks that guy didn't have better ammo handling sense(ie DON"T PICK UP OLD AMMO YOU DIDN"T DROP). hopefully there was enough left to put his hand back together.

msgZ28
04-06-2006, 08:55 PM
I didn't know a round could banana peel without a chamber to hold the casing. Never really thought about that. I've never had any trouble with the Mk19, but have heard a lot of complaints about them and the ammunition. I'm a golf and maw deuce man myself.

WILWAXU
04-06-2006, 09:23 PM
near a base?Yup. Port Hueneme and Point Magu.

chaman
04-06-2006, 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlover129

akZ28:
Only a fuckin idiot could make a mistake like that.

LOL!!! :jest: I have a feeling you are right!! :jest: :jest:

WILWAXU
04-06-2006, 09:39 PM
More:
http://www.venturacountystar.com/vcs/ve/article/0,1375,VCS_251_4597688,00.html

Teacher still stable after explosion

Ventura district will consider rules on weapons, ammo

By John Scheibe, jscheibe@VenturaCountyStar.com
April 5, 2006

A Ventura teacher remained in stable condition in the Ventura County Medical Center on Tuesday a day after a round of ammunition exploded and severed part of his right hand while he was teaching a class on computer-aided design.

There was no information on whether doctors were able to reattach some of Robert Colla's fingers.

Colla was using an old 40 mm round of ordnance to swat an insect on his desk when it discharged, said Glen Albright, a spokesman for the Ventura Fire Department.

Colla had found the discarded ammunition years earlier while hunting in the desert, Albright said.

Colla's co-workers said he had no idea that he had a live round of ammunition, which he used as a paperweight.

The explosion sent shrapnel flying around the classroom at the Ventura Adult Education Center on Valentine Road where 20 to 25 students were studying at the time.

No one else was hurt in the 4:06 p.m. explosion. But the accidental discharge not only left Colla with a mangled hand but also with severe burns and minor shrapnel wounds to his forearms and torso.

The center is run by the Ventura Unified School District.

While the district has clear policies prohibiting students from bringing weapons or ammunition to campus, school officials are looking into whether and how the policies apply to teachers, said district Superintendent Trudy Tuttle Arriaga. "There is nothing clear cut about this," Tuttle Arriaga said.

School board President Barbara Fitzgerald said she expects trustees will likely take another look at the district's policy about bringing weapons and ammunition to campus. "This would be a good time to do it," Fitzgerald said.

Fitzgerald said "the tragedy in of itself is a good reminder of the dangers" of weapons and ammunition, although it would not hurt for the district to send out another reminder of the dangers to everyone in the district.

William Batt, a retired Army officer who works as a consultant to help safely dispose of ordnance, said there's a lot of dangerous munitions scattered through the country. "The first rule of thumb is you don't pick it up," Batt said. "If it looks like a piece of ordnance, leave it alone."

Unfortunately, many people like to collect ordnance, falsely assuming it's safe to have around the house or office.

"This is a common problem across the United States," said Batt, as he cited examples of people who've kept live ammunition around the home. One man even put a live shell on the mantle of his fireplace, thinking it looked good there, Batt said.

Luckily, in many of these cases, munitions experts were able to confiscate the ordnance before it hurt or killed anyone.

djsanchez2
04-06-2006, 10:52 PM
I'll remember not to do that with the one that i have in my room. It's for decoration, I've always wondered if it would stay live for a long time. Now i know, HAHA. And to think i wanted to rig some sort of pipe to fire it, when i was like 14. Good thing i have commen sense enough to know the blast would be too strong for something for like that.

SmokeySS
04-06-2006, 11:55 PM
Kids...teachers, there's a reason that when this stuff is sold to Average Joe, it's already been drilled out, had parts removed, and made safe so that you can have it as a paperweight. However, I recently found a really cool landmine while digging in the garden and think it would be fantastic to use in a game of Twister!

djsanchez2
04-07-2006, 12:10 AM
Right hand....BBBBOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!, guess it's red now huh?!? :jest: :jest: :jest:

slowpoke96z28
04-07-2006, 12:15 AM
he was caught red-handed

Wnts2Go10O
04-07-2006, 12:19 AM
Right hand....BBBBOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!, guess it's red now huh?!? :jest: :jest: :jest:
its all fun and games till lil johnny loses a limb.

LS1TechRulez
04-07-2006, 03:49 AM
:bs:

am I the only one calling?

Ell Ess Won
04-07-2006, 04:20 AM
How do you dispose of live ammunition? I have a round from a rifle laying around in my room that I otherwise dont want laying there anymore and im not gonna just drop it in the trash haha ????

zlover129
04-07-2006, 05:18 AM
haha, i feel bad for the guy, but like i said earlier, i might have done the same thing. im sure the round has dropped a few times and not gone off, either that or he just wasn't thinking, believe it or not people dont think sometimes and i can't say i haven't done stupid things, thankfully none that cost me a hand though :)

slowpoke96z28
04-07-2006, 07:43 AM
How do you dispose of live ammunition? I have a round from a rifle laying around in my room that I otherwise dont want laying there anymore and im not gonna just drop it in the trash haha ????

you wouldn't be the first to put it in the trash

this is a picture of a MK19 and the round it shoots
http://dwp.bigplanet.com/rellitechnology/nss-folder/pictures/MK19.jpg

DSG
04-07-2006, 07:56 AM
:bs:

am I the only one calling?

I agree. I was always told in all my days of Amy training the 40mm grenade had a 5 meter kill radius. Thats a 15 foot circle.

Plus I highly doubt the grenade would go off like that.

Ling_650vette
04-07-2006, 08:10 AM
The professor is an idiot anyway you cut it. One of the 1st rules of gun safety is handle every round as if it were live.

But I guess thats just one badass bug. I mean it took a 40mm round and brushed its shoulder off and called his homie.

Grave
04-07-2006, 10:16 AM
VENTURA, California (AP) -- A teacher who kept a 40 mm shell on his desk as a paperweight blew off part of his hand when he apparently used the object to try to squash a bug, authorities say.

The 5-inch-long shell exploded Monday while Robert Colla was teaching 20 to 25 students at an adult education class.

Part of Colla's right hand was severed and he suffered severe burns and minor shrapnel wounds to his forearms and torso, fire Capt. Tom Weinell said. No one else was injured. He was reported in stable condition at a hospital.

The teacher slammed the shell down in an attempt to kill something that was buzzing or crawling across the desk, said Fire Marshal Glen Albright.

Colla found the 40 mm round while hunting years ago and "obviously he didn't think the round was live," said Dennis Huston, who teaches computer design alongside Colla.

I work with munitions like this on a daily basis... we even have a video we are required to watch annually (for refresher training) that specifically details a scenario like this! (The video we watch shows a small child finding a 30mm round and takes it to school... the static electricity in his backpack sets off the round... *BOoM!*)

A 40mm round is no joke... it's basically a grenade thats shot out of a grenade launcher. He's lucky he didn't kill himself or anybody else for that matter! :bang:

vette
04-07-2006, 12:15 PM
well if he was hunting he probably understands the basics of how a gun works, im not sure how you couldnt tell that the round wasnt discharged

and has no DENTS in it Watch out !!!!! It could spload if hammered!!!!!

Spelling intention for some people!!!!