LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Blown Head Gasket or cracked Head

Old 04-07-2006, 07:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Blown Head Gasket or cracked Head

One day at the gas station, I pulled in and smelled the sweet smell of burning Anti-freeze, but didn't think anything at the time. I put some gas in it, went to start it up, and then a big cloud of white smoke came out the exhaust. I put it up in a storage unit because I had to leave for Iraq for a few months. I took off the Headers, pulled the plugs and found that the #7 Cylinder was misfiring, and was wet. I sprayed WD-40 inside that Cylinder to mix with the Coolant and coat the inside so moisture doesn't affect it as bad, then put the plug back in. I pulled both valve covers, and Anti-freeze was mixed in with the oil. I sprayed some WD-40 under them. That lead me to belive that it might be a cracked Head. I plan on fixing this when I get back, and putting on Hooker Longtubes. I plan on disconnecting everything (waterlines, harness from the car, brake lines, steering shaft, upper ball joints from frame, 6 cradle bolts, drive shaft, shift linkage, transmission cross member) and raising the car off of the engine cradle assembly. Then I plan on taking off the intake, and the heads, and looking at what the problem is. I am using Felpro #1074 Head Gaskets on this, and putting everything back together. I am going to check the Valve Lash with the car running, and running the new parts through several heat cycles to tighten before driving it. If anyone has done this before, feel free to imput.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Head gaskets.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

A couple of people that I know said that I should tear down the engine and completely re-build it cause of the mileage. It has 103k on it. We just installed the Cam, and this little problem turned up. From what they say, I am in for more down the road, but so is everyone if you drive your car....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blown Head Gasket or cracked Head