Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just a guy lookin' for a car...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 05:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just a guy lookin' for a car...

I've been looking at LS1 f-bodies for a while now. It seems whenever I find a nice Firebird they get bought within a matter of a day or so from when I first notice it. My question is this: is buying one to be a daily driver a good idea? Also, is buying one at high miles a good idea? The only ones I saw under $10,000 that are "low mileage" are in the 90,000 range, and the highest ones (which are Trans Ams) are close to 130,000.

I'm really super hesitant to buy a car with 130,000 miles on it, but if it's nothing to these engines (I'm not sure if it is or not) that would be cool.

I have $4,500 in money that I can spend on it, and am willing to finance out the rest. Just lookin' for some opinions here...

Thanks for any help, this forum really rocks.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep your eyes out for a good deal, I got my Formula with 74k miles on it for 6800 out the door. 130 is a little high but if well maintained its not too bad, just as with any higher mileage engine you are going to have to put more money into it.

As far as general maintenance goes my car has been relatively cheap to maintain, the thermostat went out at 80k (30$) and the window motor at about 85k (60$) its all in how well its been maintained, Good luck!

You might want to try looking in the new ls1 owners and enthusiasts section
Old 04-07-2006, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for an LS1 being a DD, that's no problem for it, I use mine for a DD 40k and no problems (knock wood)
As for the mileage, if its been maintained right, 130k isn't too much (there are several on here who have put on/in heads, cam, headers, N2O etc on their high miles LS1s, and they aren't going boom, so it's a pretty stout engine as far as longevity)
Old 04-07-2006, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

it really depends on how well the engine has been taken care of. I certainly wouldn't trust a car with 130k on it to be my daily driver, especially if it was a high performance V8.

I daily drove my camaro, watch your *** in the rain is the only problem.

For the price you're looking for, an LS1 might be a little too much to be affordable. Still, they are quite resilient engines, i've heard of them going over 200k. If you don't have a problem rebuilding the engine, then the mileage is a moot point if the rest of the car is in good shape.

Biggest problem i'd say is the autos at high mileage. 4l60e's usually have an expected operating life of 100k. Anything over that is iffy. T-56's tend to last longer on average.

Maybe look at an LT1 with less miles?
Old 04-07-2006, 06:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Auto isn't a problem, as I'd only really consider a manual. It's my policy with all cars nowadays...

I was thinking about LT1s, but the body style kind of turns me off. I don't want to buy a car and then regret not getting a '98+ every time I see one drive by, haha.

I suppose I can wait and save up, it's just kind of hard to wait when you know you CAN get one, but deep down knowing that it'd be a bad choice, maybe. There are Camaros with 80K miles or so on them for sale within my budget, but I don't quite like Camaros as much, so I'm waiting to see.

The rain has me wondering, too, since I live in Florida. Does the traction control really do much in these cars?
Old 04-07-2006, 07:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just keep looking. I looked for about 6 months before I found mine. Also check out some at higher prices like 12-13k or even higher. I went to look at a 97 SS with my dad (he wanted me to look in the under 10k range which were pretty much all LT1's or high milage ls1's) the thing was beat to hell. But there was an 01 Z28 with 55,000 miles on it priced at 16,9** that i had been looking at over the web. Took it for a test drive just for the hell of it and loved it. After a couple days i emailed the dealership and told them i was looking for something a camaro z28 12k or under and he emailed me back telling me all about the z28 that i test drove. That weekend i went and picked it up it was 14 something with tax tag and title. But I think i got a good deal and it was right in front of me i just was't looking at it cause it was to pricey. Just keep looking and saving and get what you really want.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:09 PM
Launching!

Traction control doesn't do much, IMO. Test drove a few cars with it.

I don't have it, and for what it's worth, I have absolutely no issues in the rain. I even drive it in snow. You just need decent tires and can't get hard into the gas. I don't spin at all, you just have to keep your foot out of it when it's wet.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

I know how to drive in the wet, my Ranger gets a little squirrely even on dry pavement sometimes, lol. So I'm good, I don't really care if TCS is good or bad. That's a good point about looking at higher-priced ones, but at this point I don't want to go over 10K. I guess I should just save up then.

Thanks for the help, though. Maybe I'll find one sooner, lol.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Too bad you don't like Camaros.

Resale value for Z28s sucks ***. An SS model in my area in the same condition commanded a $4000 or $5000 premium. Same thing for a Trans Am. Formulas are also more expensive than Z28's.

Just keep your eye out for a well maintained 98 or 99 model. It'll be just as reliable as a 2002 model for a lot less $$$.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mcgodx
I was thinking about LT1s, but the body style kind of turns me off.
Yeah, well the LS1 Camaro body style turns me off.
I only like the SS's.

Other than the LS1 Ram Air Birds, I'd take my 95 Style.
Just MO

Originally Posted by AronZ28
Too bad you don't like Camaros. Formulas are also more expensive than Z28's.
Please, i would like to know what drugs your on, so i can try them.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well it's the same thing I noticed here. For the same year, Firebirds are either just not for sale, or they are and for a good 2 or 3 thousand more. Unless they're in really bad condition... I was close to getting a few then saw them in person and they were really trashed.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JonB
Just keep looking. I looked for about 6 months before I found mine. Also check out some at higher prices like 12-13k or even higher. I went to look at a 97 SS with my dad (he wanted me to look in the under 10k range which were pretty much all LT1's or high milage ls1's) the thing was beat to hell. But there was an 01 Z28 with 55,000 miles on it priced at 16,9** that i had been looking at over the web. Took it for a test drive just for the hell of it and loved it. After a couple days i emailed the dealership and told them i was looking for something a camaro z28 12k or under and he emailed me back telling me all about the z28 that i test drove. That weekend i went and picked it up it was 14 something with tax tag and title. But I think i got a good deal and it was right in front of me i just was't looking at it cause it was to pricey. Just keep looking and saving and get what you really want.
I totally agree with this guy. I was looking for a LS1 for awhile and managed to get one that I thought was out of my price range, that had been right in front of my face next to my house for months. Keep looking and something will come up.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mcgodx
It seems whenever I find a nice Firebird they get bought within a matter of a day or so from when I first notice it.

When you see a good deal on these cars, you gotta pounce, bro.

That having been said, there's nothing wrong with using one as a DD in rain. I've driven mine in snow. The traction control really makes no difference, you just gotta have a light foot.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'd avoid traction control. It always pisses you off when you want to lay rubber. The only time the light comes on is when its wet and I'm making a sharp right turn at 5mph. Like it makes a difference.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:25 AM
TECH Resident

you gotta be ready to buy, talk to a bank and get apprved for a loan for up to X amount of $. I just went through the same thing but got lucky and found a car i was happy with in only about 2 weeks. It was listed on this site at about 8PM and at 3AM i was emailing and PMing and was on my way to colorado from chicago in less then 24 hours of the car being listed to get the car. I got a 99 SS with 63K and a 6 speed for 10Gs, has a dent in the quarter thats gonna be about 800 bux to fix but im hapy with 10800 for a clean car. Just needed a good wash and wax and 1 or 2 lil interor parts and its in great shape.

As far as traction control, my 95 LT1 system was much much much more effective, the setup on my camaro doesnt do a damn thing unless your spinnin like mad it seems. You can also get the SLP box that keeps the traction control off till you press the button to turn it on if you want in the rain. Only about 60 bux i beleive.

Quick Reply: Just a guy lookin' for a car...