Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Direct-port for newbs...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 11:44 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Direct-port for newbs...

Quick question guys. Eventually, I'm going to be heads, cam, and spray. I'm wondering what you guys think about a DP system for guys on their first kit. I really like the look of the NX NXL system and the fact that no drilling is involved. I'm not interested in having a stealthy system, but one that people look under your hood and go "Holy ****!". With a cam that's good on the spray (more exhaust than intake), 5.3 heads, and 12-bolt with 4.10's, I'm looking at doing a 100 shot with a beefier pump and injetors. Do you guys think a 100 shot is too small for a DP system? Is there a little extra setup or maintenance involved on a DP setup?

BTW, I'm also planning on going with all the safety gear, WOTS, FPSS, WS, fuel, A/F, and nitrous pressure gauges, heater, and purge. I want an ultra safe hard hitting system for the track, and maybe occassional street use.

I've never used nitrous before and never been in a car while it's been sprayed either. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think it's too small, but it's overkill. Easy to tune each induvidual cylinder so it will be safe. You could do the exact same with a dry shot and a single nozzle and still be safe.

People will definitely say holy **** if they see a direct port, probably cause they'll hear the car cammin and think you're spraying 300 or something.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:49 AM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

unless your going to spray over a 200 shot i wouldnt look at a direct port. I would recomend another kit just about any other kit, wet, dry, NX maf, plate, ect Get something simple and progress from there. Buy to much kit to start with and you will want something different before you grow into it anyway. Just my .02
Old 04-11-2006, 01:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

You have to admit looking at your friends expressions when they look at your direct-port set-up is absolutely priceless.

I don't even want to use it I just like big ***** feeling driving around and knowing that you could eat a Z06 like it's standing still on the freeway.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:42 AM
Teching In

I too am interested in the NXL kit. Looks like the easiest way to get the safety of a direct port setup.

I ran a NX single nozzle wet ket on my previous 'vette, a '99 C5, and after I removed the kit and traded the car there was a video of someone getting fuel puddling in the intake manifold and a subsequent fire. After seeing that video I knew that any future nitrous I did would be direct port.

Now I've got this '03 Z06 with 13,000 original miles on it and almost enough money to do a complete NXL setup. Just concerned if all the initial kinks from 2003 and 2004 were resolved to everyone's satisfaction including the "bog at initial hit" issue that NX resolved via fuel accumulator.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:45 AM
Restricted User

I agree with Ray, too little shot for so much kit, not to say it cant handle it, or you wont grow into it. I would go plate kit setup, either Nitrous Direct, Nitrous Daves or similar. If you went dry you would end up needing injectors, but dry kits can look better than a single nozzle wet, I think mine is a classic example. I open my hood and I get the "OMFG thats sweet," only wish I was the originator of how its plumbed, but those props go to Ray as well. Single nozzle wet would be least recommended. Fuel puddling is mostly an issue when your hitting BIG shots and too low an RPM.

Consufed? Check out the plate setups, you'd like em.

Last edited by CAT3; 04-28-2006 at 12:23 AM.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys are all looking at it the wrong way.....Yeah a DP for 100 shot may be over kill, but what is to say that 100 is not going to be enough and he moves up to a 150, or a 220 and then to a 250 shot. You dont have to sell and re buy all the new ****.

Just my .02 but hey you are killing more birds with one stone.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:58 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

i like direct port cuz its safer... but i think when i do it im doing it under the intake.... nice... hidden... and clean....
Old 04-28-2006, 11:21 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CAT3
Consufed? Check out the plate setups, you'd like em.
Where do the plate setups go? I want something where the nitrous and fuel go in after the intake manifold to reduce fuel puddling in the intake risk to 0.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:54 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The directport is a good investment if you plan on spraying 250 pluss in the future. Ofcourse it will not hurt to run a directport for the smaller shots.Lots of people use directports on smaller shots because of the cool looks. But it is not really needed for a 200 shot or under.

The plate system places a plate between the intake and throttle body.
Beer has a post on here somewhere of him flowing our plate.
Check it out.
Dave
Old 05-31-2006, 01:14 PM
Teching In

Is the NXL kit capable of anything beyond the advertised 80, 120, 180 shots?
Old 05-31-2006, 02:36 PM
Restricted User

The NXL is more of a limited system, in its complete packaged form. If you use the injectors and a dedicated fuel system you would get away with much more. The NXL Rails, although sexy, and convenient, do not give you the option of running a dedicated fuel source, so your octane requirements are harder to acheive and pressure vs flow rate becomes an issue.
For an ultimate WOW factor, tap in 8 nozzles in the intake and run some either Braided 3AN line, or SS Hardline with a set of billet fuel and nitrous rails. Cant get much more WOW than that
Old 05-31-2006, 02:40 PM
Teching In

Basically just call Nitro Dave and have him do a true direct port setup, eh?