General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Changed plugs..now i have a question

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 03:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed plugs..now i have a question

Okay..well i just changed the plugs on my car for the first time. I can honestly say it wasnt quite as bad as i expected...but it was still a PITA. I used MSD wires, with AC Delco iridium plugs. The box that they came in said to adjust gap according to vehicle specs. So i put them all at .060 gap. I was just on there website looking around, and on there website, it says not to gap the plugs....so which is it?? There box says to gap them..and there website says not to gap them..I can honestly say that i will be very pissed if i have to remove them all just to reset the gap because the info given on the box was wrong. When i checked the gaps on the plugs, they were all slightly different, so if AC Delco does want you to run there pre-set gap, they better get with it and make sure all the gaps are atleast the same. Okay..well any help would be great.

PS- my car does seem to run better with the new plugs in it..the idle is smoother, and the throttle response definately improved.

-Travis
Old 04-09-2006, 12:22 AM
Banned

the bulletin i read from gm said to use them @ .040 as they come in the box.the reason for this is its very p[ossible to damage the iridium tip by improperly setting or checking the gap.they want to you use them as they come.i would still carefully check them.in my opinion .060 is fine,the wider the gap is better.the reason .040 is recomended is because the tip and other materials used to make the plug gradually erode away opening the gap.example would be most people run the plugs 100k and the plugs will erode .020+ in that time.at .080 the electrical pressure on the coils-wires-connections gets very high,with the possibility of electrical insulation breakdown causing a misfire.starting @ .040 means you will end up @ .060 with much less chance of a problem accurring.but i still wouldn't worry about it.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:42 AM
TECH Regular

okay...so you dont think its a big deal?? Alright cool. Thanks alot man. Does anybody else feel the same??
Old 04-09-2006, 11:45 AM
Banned

i'll bet if you gap back to .040 you notice that its not as snappy,stay @ .060
Old 04-09-2006, 03:29 PM
TECH Regular

okay cool man..thanks for the advice. I will just leave them at .060...thanks again

-Travis
Old 04-09-2006, 07:18 PM
In Need of Cup Holders!

Mine are at .055/.06