Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 10:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy bonehead move at dragstrip

I made a bone head move today.I usually try to just barely light
the fully staged bulb when staging well I just had it twinkling and
I thought that was enough but the tree never came on and gave me a
red light which is called timing the bulb out. I've been racing for 3 yrs.
and this is the first time i've done this, oh well live and learn from now
on I am going to stage a little deeper.
John
Old 04-10-2006, 09:25 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

that aint ****. I stalled twice during my burnout because I forgot my traction control was on. Talk about feeling stupid.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:44 AM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most bracket racers have been bitten by the "flickering of the stage bulb" deal. I've learned to give another small bump after seeing the flicker. Get burned once and it won't happen again!

Derek
Old 04-10-2006, 11:56 AM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by john shea
I made a bone head move today.I usually try to just barely light
the fully staged bulb when staging well I just had it twinkling and
I thought that was enough but the tree never came on and gave me a
red light which is called timing the bulb out. I've been racing for 3 yrs.
and this is the first time i've done this, oh well live and learn from now
on I am going to stage a little deeper.
John

Been there and done that!

Coach
Old 04-10-2006, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

I've driven through the light at a bracket race and those ******** wouldn't let me back up so I was out of contention and had to go home!
Old 04-13-2006, 06:41 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ss1129
that aint ****. I stalled twice during my burnout because I forgot my traction control was on. Talk about feeling stupid.
If that aint the truth. I've done that myself, and I'm a4! Yea, yea, yea.

Ski
Old 04-13-2006, 06:12 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by Relativelyfast
I've driven through the light at a bracket race and those ******** wouldn't let me back up so I was out of contention and had to go home!

if a person that was running me did that i wouldnt let them back up either... its just a rule... once you break the plane game over....

yeah as soon as the light flickers i hit my T-brake button and it rolls foward just a hair and its fully lit.... makes for a consistant tree
Old 04-13-2006, 06:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ss1129

iv done that before..

i hate that tc
Old 04-13-2006, 07:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

almost a third time last night......I really need to get rid of that stupid ****.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:46 PM
11 Second Club

I'm the opposite, I try to pull as far foreword as possible. Every inch counts
Old 04-13-2006, 11:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i felt very stupid last night...they lined me up against this 1968 extreamly souped up camaro, and the tech who works there told me to wait for him and then run, as i was already lined up...so the tree lights go, the camaro takes off, and i still just sit there...then the guy comes up and says ..u know you could of gone...and then he tells me to go..so i do what he said and went...well the tree wasnt set, so i didnt get my time slip..in conclusion i felt like a complet dumbass..i didn't really feel like running again..but w/e...it happens
Old 04-18-2006, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ty_ty13
if a person that was running me did that i wouldnt let them back up either... its just a rule... once you break the plane game over....

yeah as soon as the light flickers i hit my T-brake button and it rolls foward just a hair and its fully lit.... makes for a consistant tree
There is something to be said for courtesy while staging. It sometimes happens that for whatever reason (usually lack of attention on the drivers part, though) that things like that happen. Unless you are already staged (I will even give you prestaged) then you should allow the other driver to back up and stage. Anything else would make you a coward in my book. No real racer wants to win a race like that.

Sorry, I am not attacking you, but things like that make for hard feelings and anger at the track, completely unnecessarily, might I add.

I know I would make it a personal mission to make a total *** out of anybody who did something like that to me, or even tried.

Taco
Old 04-18-2006, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

And as to the original topic of this post, yeah, that sucks. Anybody who tries to stage carefully is going to get that at some point in their racing career. I always give one more bump too, just to be safe.

Best of luck in the future!
Taco
Old 04-18-2006, 01:51 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by Taco
There is something to be said for courtesy while staging. It sometimes happens that for whatever reason (usually lack of attention on the drivers part, though) that things like that happen. Unless you are already staged (I will even give you prestaged) then you should allow the other driver to back up and stage. Anything else would make you a coward in my book. No real racer wants to win a race like that.

Sorry, I am not attacking you, but things like that make for hard feelings and anger at the track, completely unnecessarily, might I add.

I know I would make it a personal mission to make a total *** out of anybody who did something like that to me, or even tried.

Taco
if we were racing to see who was fastest or just for fun friday night drags thats fine... but when im racing for 5,000$ a weekend im not letting anything slide.... when you come to race for money come prepaired...
Old 04-18-2006, 05:26 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah I have run through the staging lights, then had to back up feeling light a dick....LOL But we live, and learn!
Old 04-18-2006, 07:52 PM
7 Second Club

yeah i've done it a few times also...

hell i've even taken to long bumping into the stage lights and got DQ'd

you dont realize all the rules until you break them...
Old 04-18-2006, 09:51 PM
12 Second Club

At least you didn't pull the classic reverse launch:

Pull up too far and have to back up, forget to put it back in drive when the tree goes off and spin reverse

Easiest way too look like an asshat in front of hundreds of people (not saying I know from experience!)
Old 04-19-2006, 09:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ty_ty13
if we were racing to see who was fastest or just for fun friday night drags thats fine... but when im racing for 5,000$ a weekend im not letting anything slide.... when you come to race for money come prepaired...
Well, it's just my personal opinion, but you, sir, are an *******.

There is nothing in the NHRA Rule Book stating that if a driver rolls through the beams, he can't back up UNLESS the competition is already pre-staged or staged (and I said in my post, I'd give you that much).

If you're just being a dick to steal a race, that's

Taco
Old 04-19-2006, 09:42 AM
7 Second Club

more than likely im all ready prestaged... dont get your panties in a wad... its a competition and if you screw up you lose...

as soon as any one pre-stages i prestage immediately... so when some one does it its always the rule... when they break the plain they are DQ'd

more than likely since you feel soo strongly about that and feel like you should get a special priviledge (spelling) to restage you are probably the one with a sour attitude.

i believe in fare racing... and when you break the rules you get DQ'd...

you go pay 150$ entry fee and then let me restage when i get DQ'd and then i beat you and you have to rebuy for 80$ then we'll see how you really feel

Originally Posted by Taco
Well, it's just my personal opinion, but you, sir, are an *******.

There is nothing in the NHRA Rule Book stating that if a driver rolls through the beams, he can't back up UNLESS the competition is already pre-staged or staged (and I said in my post, I'd give you that much).

If you're just being a dick to steal a race, that's

Taco
Old 04-19-2006, 11:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Obviously we are talking about 2 different things here.

I said (twice now) that if you are pre-staged, the other car rolls the beam, then yes, he is disqualified. I KNOW THAT PART, that is not what I am talking about.

I will lay it out like this situation:

I, in my dragster, do my burnout (across the starting line). I am running a door car. He does his burnout. (By the rules, he's not "SUPPOSED" to cross the line while doing a burnout) I am backing up and my competition is creeping toward the pre-stage beam (already finished his burnout and is approaching the beams slowly). He looks at the score board to double check the dial-ins and sees that he has mine in wrong. He looks down at the delay box to change the dial-in and rolls, slowly, through the beams. I'm still well behind the pre-stage beam, but I am rolling toward them.

THIS IS WHERE WE DON'T AGREE, right???

I will not, WILL NOT, rush up and pre stage just to get a freebie. That is *****, period. If you would, then you shouldn't be racing. I don't care if it is a weekly race at your local track or the finals of the Million Dollar Race, it's bullshit!

That is how I feel and you will not change my mind about it, nor will I change yours, I am just telling you, if you pull that kinda stunt at Huntsville Dragway, people will not be coming by to shake your hand after the race, if you catch my drift...

Taco

Quick Reply: bonehead move at dragstrip