General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Center Console

Old 04-08-2006, 10:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Center Console

Is it just me, or does our center console have cheap plastic? I’ve had to modify two areas so far. The console Door Latch and the Ashtray door spring.
Has anyone else experienced issues with their console door latch or ash tray spring breaking?
Old 04-08-2006, 11:02 PM
Banned

Welcome to the World of the Fbody, I hope you enjoy your stay.
BTW, mines in perfect shape, but dont mess with it.

just use is nicely.

And DONT punch the Dash pad....
Old 04-09-2006, 04:47 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, cheap and shitty. Just the way GM likes them.

I'll add to the above list. Don't touch, or even look at the plastic in the rear of the car. As even the most cared for plastic in these cars, turns to scratched crap-ola.

My console is still mint in my car as well, but it's only got 20k miles on it.

The rubber around the parking brake is already torn though. So I have to pull it out, and see how to fix that when the weather is nice.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ash tray lid is broken in mine, and from what I hear it's broken in many F-bods. The plastic over the part that tells you what gear your in (auto) is fogged up, as is the corner of the plastic over the speedo. All of the vent covers feel like they're going to fall off because they fit like ****, except for the one all the way on the driver's side. That one will come off if you tug it a little. Car has under 40K on it too. But I didn't buy the car for the interior.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:21 PM
10 Second Club

wow, my 150,000 mile car has great interior. i dont see how everyone elses car have so many issues
Old 04-11-2006, 03:21 AM
On The Tree

LOL, I don't punch the dash...

Anyways, when I pulled the Upper Half of the Console (to get to the spring), I noticed the Plastic hole that held the Ash tray spring, was drilled to close to the edge and this is what cause the spring to fly off. (fix)...drill another hole further up away from edge, insert spring (if you can find it) in new hole, ash tray door stays closed and works as normal.

Now, I had this problem with the Console door push latch breaking. I even had the spring that pops the door open malfunction on me once. Took the door off, open the latch area and notice the latch itself is all plastic. One side had droke on the underside of door. Buddie of mine and I got some apoxy and layed all over that area, let it dry and now it springs the latch back perfectly (cheap GM idea )

Search this Thread