Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

does anyone elses transmission do this?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 01:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default does anyone elses transmission do this?

in the morning when i leave the car shifts normal until it gets to OD. it seems like the car has to warm up before it will hit OD. just wondering if anyone elses tranny does this or if it is normal.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:55 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you have a sticky valve or solenoid in the valve body. It does this only when the trans is cold? Does it have 2nd gear starts when it's cold? Is the computer commanding 4th but it just doesn't happen? These are some of the things we need to know. Are you sure it's lockup your not getting? Good luck.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by O-townLS1
in the morning when i leave the car shifts normal until it gets to OD. it seems like the car has to warm up before it will hit OD. just wondering if anyone elses tranny does this or if it is normal.
I think I know what you are talking about. The computer will not tell the converter to lock up until it reaches a certain temperature, I have found this myself though I do not know what the exact temp is. Now that it is getting warmer out, it doesn't take as long but it used to take 5 mins of highway driving before it would actually go into lockup. Count your shifts...it should feel like gear #5, or the 4th actual RPM drop.

Mine did this in both its stock and its current forms so i'm sure its a computer controlled setting.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:49 PM
On The Tree

it starts in 1st gear and i will drive it down the road and once the car gets a lil warmer i will feel/hear the rpm drop wen it kicks into over drive. it only does this when i first crank it up for the day. it will run in 3rd until it warms up then it will go into OD then i dont have thr problem for the rest of the day.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

Are u putting it in D or OD. The converter will lock up in both but the tranny is a 4speed plus overdrive. Like Blackhawk said, It will seem like its go into a 5th gear cuz when you put it in OD it is not the total overdrive(not sure the actual ration but i think it is an overdriven gear) but it is acually a gear then the converter locks up making it kind of a double overdrive. Regardless, I believe the computer does not let it until it is warmed up.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

yup it needs to be warmed up for the converter to lock up thats what your feeling
Old 04-09-2006, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

D or OD? mine only sais D. i dont have a place to put it into OD. p,r,n,d,3,2,1
Old 04-09-2006, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
I think I know what you are talking about. The computer will not tell the converter to lock up until it reaches a certain temperature, I have found this myself though I do not know what the exact temp is. Now that it is getting warmer out, it doesn't take as long but it used to take 5 mins of highway driving before it would actually go into lockup. Count your shifts...it should feel like gear #5, or the 4th actual RPM drop.

Mine did this in both its stock and its current forms so i'm sure its a computer controlled setting.

thats completely correct!
Old 04-09-2006, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

ok. well thanks guys. i just wanted to make sure it was normal and wasnt somehting that was gonna cost an arm and a leg to fix if it wasnt normal. thanks for the info!

Kody
Old 04-09-2006, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

d is over drive. we have 4 speed transmissions.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A

Good explaination. Thats exactly how mine is too.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

i know D is over drive in ours but he asked if i put it in drive or over drive
and we dont have a place to choose over drive or drive