General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

coolant drain plugs on the block

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 11:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant drain plugs on the block

Can someone PLEASE take pictures or point me in the direction where i could find pictures of the coolant drain plugs on the block. I find description after description of the location of the plugs but cannot find them for the life of me. The Haynes manual shows a tiny picture with no reference points and is very vague. It would be GREATLY appreciated. I've gotta flush my coolant soon!

Thanks!
Old 04-10-2006, 08:54 PM
Teching In

there on the side of the block its self im sure. i know the lt1s i think its on the drivers side. or you can remove the knock sensor to drain it too if you want. which is on the passanger side of a lt1
Old 04-14-2006, 10:43 PM
Launching!

If I remember correctly, one is above the starter, the other is on the driver side of the block and takes a 17mm allen wrench.
You could just buy a coolant flush kit. I've never used one but i hear some people have used them and its a lot easier.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

On the pass side there is a plug that lies flat just above the starter between the starter and the block. You'll need a 5/16 allen socket to remove.

On the drivers side in the front by the alt. theres a plug on the side of the block that you'll need a 17 mm allen socket to remove.

You may have to tap on the plugs lightly to loosen but then they come right out. Then after draining use teflon sealant on the plugs and install again.

This is on the LS1 based motors.

Dave
Old 04-15-2006, 12:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a link that might help you. If you have the water pump off already, save yourself some time and headaches and leave the plugs in the block and use a shop vac to suck the water out of the block through the water pump ports. So much easier.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/335413-afr-s-fast-90-nw-90tb-poly-mounts-fast-rails-finally-done.html