PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help...new cam in the T/A and it's running like crap!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 04:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help...new cam in the T/A and it's running like crap!

Went out and bought a LS1 Hot cam for my 2001 Trans Am/ A4.

Installed the cam and LS6 springs on Saturday.

Having problems when I have to use the breaks. The car stalls out on me. Not enough vaccum I'm assuming?? Also...running extremely rich...the exhaust fumes make my eyes water and burn when I'm at idle. These are the specs for the cam I bought: Duration at .050 in. 219/ 228, Lift .525/ .525 LSA 112

The cam was installed at top dead center. Turned over the first time I cranked it. didnt want to idle and died. Eventually after a few times of turning it over, it idles on its own...then couldnt put it in gear without it stalling...but now I got it to do that...I can drive it as long as I two foot it when I come up to lights and have to decel. For this reason alone I was convinced that the computer was getting use to the cam. I dont know though...so I'm going to ask someone that is hopefully knoledgeable in this area of aftermarket automotive work.

The car is idling at about 650 rpm right now...first thing is first...should I mess with the screw on the throttle body to up the idle? I was thinking 750-800 rpm.

Mods I have on the car besides the cam and springs: MAC midlength headers (no cats), Exhaust dump at the end of the Y-pipe, SLP whisper lid.

Can anyone give me any advice on what I should do?

Someone told me that I could get my computer reflashed at a GM dealership since the cam is a GM performance part. Other people tell me to take it to a performance shop and get it tuned. I've also heard that after a while my computer will get used to it and correct itself...and I've also been told to get a aftermarket programer that plugs into the OBD 2 port and try to fix it that way......basicly I've been getting all sorts of answers and I dont know what to think right now.

If anyone has any information or experience with this...please help a fellow F-body friend and let me in on what I should do. I really would like to drive my car sometime soon. Thank you so much in advance!