Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Noise driving me insane

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Noise driving me insane

Preface - had a Textralia and 4.10s installed last week, picked up Saturday. Car started making a strange noise Sunday evening on the way home from a party - it's a high-pitched whine, almost like a whistle at times. It seems to be coming from the trans itself, but at other times, I'm almost sure it's coming from the rear. It only occurs during light acceleration - say in 4th at 30mph - but occasionally occurs, and REALLY increases in pitch and volume, during harder acceleration. It also gets VERY loud right after hard acceleration, but the noise goes away if the car is shut off and let sit for 2-3 hours. It's at the point now where the noise can easily be heard over music at a normal volume, even with the tops off on the interstate. I've never heard gear whine, but I think this is what it is - except I never really got on the gas before it happened, it just slowly started. Transmission fluid is fine, and I'm going to double-check the fluid level in the rear this evening.

If it's gear whine, I can deal with that until I have the new rear to put in...I just want to make sure it's not likely something that's going to destroy the clutch.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the gears werent installed properly!