Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Help Carrier won't come out

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 02:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help Carrier won't come out

I know it sounds stupid but I was ready to start setting up my new gears last nite. I setup the pinpion with the stock shim and installed that, no problems with that. The pinion shim is 34 thousandths. then I finally got the carrier back in with the stock shims (pass=245 and drive=235 thousnadths). It was tight but it did go with the dead blow hammer. The ring gear wouldn't hardly turn, actually it was binding up and wouldn't make a full turn without prying it along. Just called it a nite and went on to other things.
This morning I can't get the carrier back out, its locked in there really hard. Is there a trick or some tool that will help to remove this thing?
Thanks for the help again.
Joe
Old 04-11-2006, 03:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a big old prybar (at least a few feet long). Put the main caps on loosely so it doesn't come flying out.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:29 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Yup what he said, I use a 3 foot one from Harbor freight.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:45 PM
11 Second Club

Did you use a crush collar on the pinion gear??
Old 04-11-2006, 09:35 PM
Staging Lane

It went better today, No the pinion has the old bearings with the ID. ground out so as to change out easily but there are new bearing races installed. Also no crush sleeve or seal yet. Stock pinion shim at 34 thousandths.
I cleaned things up, a little more grease on the shims and back together again. Again I went with the stock shims, pass=245 and drive=235, these are single thick shims. This time the carrier was still hard going in but it did rotate easier and no binding. The carrier dosn't spin freely but it rotates.
I got photos if I can figure out how to post them, backlash is at 12 thousandths so looks like I need to reverse the carrier shims. I painted up the ring and it looks fair but once I reverse the carrier shims this should change too.
Take a look and tell me what you think, would reversing the carrier shims be the thing to do at this point.
Thanks again.
Joe
Can't upload the photos, give me hint how to post these photos