Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Which Code Scanner Is Good?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 03:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Scanner Is Good (codes)

My Service engine light came on again 00T/A. iam sure its the same code shift soleniod. Iam thinking of buying a Scanner like the kind they have at Auto Zone that gives you the code. They sell them thier, but i need a second opinion on other scanners that are out there that work just as good and some prices Thanks
Old 04-12-2006, 09:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

They all do and tell you the same thing. I bought mine from pepboys for $80 Its not the fancy one that tells you the problem, it comes with the booklet and you have to look up the code # and it tells you your problem. I like it works great. Thats the cheapest one ive seen.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:52 AM
On The Tree

I bought one from autozone that tells you all the BS. It was $175. I use it for work at my dealership when I go to the auction so I can check cars before I buy them. If it has a bad o2 sensor, I can buy the car cheap because of the light and then fix it good as new for low cost (If the car has more than 1 o2, like our cars, I change both. We are an honest dealership. Its just my father and I) If it has a major fault, like a Mazda 626 I looked at that had 22 codes. I was like WTF???

So, long story short, it paid for itself. 10 fold. lol
Old 04-12-2006, 02:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2002B4CCamaro
I bought one from autozone that tells you all the BS. It was $175. I use it for work at my dealership when I go to the auction so I can check cars before I buy them. If it has a bad o2 sensor, I can buy the car cheap because of the light and then fix it good as new for low cost (If the car has more than 1 o2, like our cars, I change both. We are an honest dealership. Its just my father and I) If it has a major fault, like a Mazda 626 I looked at that had 22 codes. I was like WTF???

So, long story short, it paid for itself. 10 fold. lol

PM sent
Old 04-23-2006, 12:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have an Actron ODB II AutoScanner that I got on eBay last year. Works great if need to check a code and works with a bunch of different cars. My friend has a SES light in his '02 Xterra and I was able to pull the codes without a problem. Great investment and the simplicity and build quality is excellent for the money, if you ask me.

Stock photo
Old 04-23-2006, 07:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

I bought the same unit through Matco (just has their logo on it) and it works fine. It was been able tp pull codes off of everything I've tried, you can veiw freeze frame data from when the code was set, and it can do the OBD II emissions check to see if your car is ready/passable for those of you who have that testing.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Y2KFirehawk
I have an Actron ODB II AutoScanner that I got on eBay last year. Works great if need to check a code and works with a bunch of different cars. My friend has a SES light in his '02 Xterra and I was able to pull the codes without a problem. Great investment and the simplicity and build quality is excellent for the money, if you ask me.

Stock photo

I have the same one. I bought it at autoZone for $99. They have one for $149 that reads live data, by the same maker. I wish I had gotten that one.

Dave
Old 04-23-2006, 10:42 AM
On The Tree

I have the cheapie OBDII code scanner from Harbor Freight ($39.99 on sale) and it worked great. It will display then clear codes. It comes with a think booklet that explains the meaning of the generic OBDII codes. But it will only do generic OBDII, not much manufacturer-specific codes. Plus, with the upcoming CAN protocol, I am looking at the Auto Xray 6000, as it is internet upgradable.