Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Oh sweet Jesus!!!!..the Dana 60 arrived today!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oh sweet Jesus!!!!..the Dana 60 arrived today!!!!

So I've been walking around with a monster chubby....today the S60 I ordered from Speed Inc. arrived. Setup is the True-Trac with 35 spline axles, 4:30 gears, 3 channel with the steel drive shaft. I just finished painting everything and plan to install tomorrow night after work.

This looks like one hell of a piece of machinery and that theres no way I'll come close to breaking this. The beer is chilling in anticipation of an easy install with a couple of friends, and I'll take a few pics to share with everyone.

PS: 3 channel 10 bolt w/ 3:42 gears in great shape w/ drive shaft is up for sale.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

I guess this means BURNOUTS GALORE...HUH!!!
Old 04-11-2006, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

Default 60

Congrats! I've got one on order myself w/steel ds. Please post up on the install. Any plans for the torque arm? Other than that it's supposed to bolt in, correct?
Old 04-11-2006, 09:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a BMR adjustable torque arm and its "supposed" to bolt up with no problem. I will share the entire install along with pics. And yes...the smell of tire smoke is bringing a smile to my face...as are the worry free hard launches at the track!!
Old 04-11-2006, 09:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Talking

Originally Posted by Joker
I have a BMR adjustable torque arm and its "supposed" to bolt up with no problem. I will share the entire install along with pics. And yes...the smell of tire smoke is bringing a smile to my face...as are the worry free hard launches at the track!!
AHHHHHHH !!! TIRE SMOKE...AHHHHHHH!!!
Old 04-11-2006, 09:42 PM
Staging Lane

just finished up my S60 install tonight. Went in no problems. Break lines were the only thing that needed coaxing.

The BMR torque will probably need to be modified. There should be instructions with your rear on what nees to be done.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:49 PM
11 Second Club

Good god, I can't wait till mine is delivered. Congrats on urs showing up.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Joker
I'm the guy who started the group purchase with Speed Inc. and I have yet to even get a phone call about my S60...

Joker - I also bought a adjustable torque arm through BMR, the guy I spoke to said they have one cut specifically for the S60 rear. Is this the torque arm your referring to?

If so, I bought the same one... how does it fit?

Did you have to buy any brackets to relocate the swaybar or panhard bar?

Thanks,
Shea
Old 04-12-2006, 09:43 AM
Staging Lane

Man, I've had mine installed for a couple days, still waiting on my DS from Speedinc Its like they sent me a Playstation3 with no controllers. I've got it hooked up to the TV, an old controller that won't work because its the wrong size, and a new controller that "is on its way."
Old 04-12-2006, 03:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I hope the torque arm is not going to need any modifying to go on, I already have that on and it fits like a glove. I was told that it would fit with no problem so we'll see. If not we will do what we have to do I guess. I didn't have to buy any extra brackets to relocate the sway arm or panhard bar as they said it wouldn't need to....we'll see tonight on that as well.

Everyone I've heard from who has one of these units has said they have had no problems at all installing it and that it was a direct bolt in, taking a couple of hours. We'll see about that too depending on how much adult beverages we consume while doing it!!
Old 04-12-2006, 09:11 PM
12 Second Club

joker, sorry for the mishap. that package was suppose to be delivered to my house. when your done painting and all, plz repackage and send to me. thanks. HAHA!!! goodluck with the install, beer and paint fumes = gonna be a fun night.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay, for first impressions of the S60; well built, very strong and solid. Makes the car feel way much more solid than it used to feel. I don't know if its the extra weight of the unit(about 215lbs vs. 185lbs for a 10 bolt) but it feels way more planted than it used to and I haven't even started to get on it.

Driving is much more smoother around town because I'm using fourth and fifth alot more just doing the speed limit. with tq/hp I'm making, starting off in first gear at a stopl;ight is much easier, responsive, solid, and smooth. This makes driving the car easier, not winding higher and working the gears beteen 3rd and 4th alot like I was. No whine from the gears at all; very, very quiet. On the highway, cruising in 6th gear is great, no effort, no feeling the car way barely chugging along, much more user friendly than it was.

No adjustments made to the BMR torque arm at all, just disconnected the bracket from the end of the torque arm and bolted it the housing, slid it in to place as we attached and fastend the lca's. Pics coming.

Hope everyone who ordered theirs gets them soon, I'm very happy so far.

Last edited by Joker; 04-14-2006 at 10:41 PM.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:31 PM
Staging Lane

Why use the u clamps when there is the brackets welded on the housing?
Old 04-13-2006, 10:31 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what size clamp did u get? i dont want any issues when mine gets here.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:39 PM
Staging Lane

Mine came with hardware for the sway bar mount. No need for u-bolts. Are you sure yours didn't come with any? I had a white box with new hardware for the DS and the sway bar. Now if they would just send me a DS I'd see what it was like.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I used the u bolts for added strength with poly bushings, just a personal choice for me. I know that there are the brackets welded on and the hardware for the swaybar but I wanted to make sure there was as little flex as possible. I ran the U bolts over the axle like the original and through the brackets that are welded on. Just my personal decision on that, I didn't mean to mislead that anyone else HAD to go out and get them, thats just what I wanted on mine for personal satisfaction.

I went by a local muffler and spring shop and they pulled some stock out and bent it for me, same size diameter, just longer and a wider bend.

This unit is one strong piece of machinery, I couldn't help but get on it a little this afternoon, solidly planting the tires and putting it all to the ground, its like night and day from the old one. One of those mods that make you think "damn I should've done this sooner!!!"

I'm pretty impressed and very satisfied with the product, the ease of the install considering I had never done one before, and very happy with Speed Inc.'s service and patience/information to questions. The only thing that sucks at the moment is that my digital camera seems to have taken a dive on me limiting my install pics. Soon as I get that fixed I'll post up.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:15 AM
Staging Lane

Well I have mine up and running. At highway speeds I get a vibration. I checked over everythging to make sure it was right. Called Martin at Strange to ask a few questions. He suggested it may be my torque arm throwing off my pinion angle. I am running the stocker. Anyone else have this problem and if so can it be corrected while not replacing the stock torque arm. I also have a poly trans mount that I am going to swap out and put the stock one back in to see if that helps.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had that same problem with the stock TA right around 65-70 mph, installed the BMR adjustable TA with the pinion set at -3 degrees and the problem is gone completely. Its definitely in the stock TA imo. Replace that and set the pinion angle and that problem goes away. My stock TA was actually bent a little too...

I also have poly motor/trans mounts too and those help greatly; even with the large cam, the vibrations are all but gone, now the entire car shakes just a little...but driving is very, very smooth in all speeds in all gears now. I hope that helps you out if you go that route. I would also go poly motor mounts if you already have the poly trans. Way better than stockers imo.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Awesome, congrats! I'm looking to get one of these as soon as I can.