LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

would small exhaust leaks make the Knock S. pull timing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 12:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default would small exhaust leaks make the Knock S. pull timing?

curious, i have a small exhaust leak and i cant seem to find it, would this pull back my timing, and if so would an LT4 knock module fix it?
Old 04-12-2006, 08:10 PM
TECH Veteran

I would think that the KS is only able to pick up harmonic/vibrations as sensed through the block. I have a Chilton manual and I once read the procedure for testing a KS is to tap on the side of the block with a screwdriver to see if any timing was pulled. I would hook the car up to a scanner and see if any timing was being pulled before I tried a new KM.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

hmm, the leak is near the sensor, i guess i can hook it up to a nice scanner and check if the timing is being pulled
Old 04-12-2006, 11:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I never heard of a header leak causing a knock retard but a set of long tubes can cause a knock retard..... If you are getting knock take it to a pro to get it checked..... You might have something going on internally that you are not aware about. BUT how do u know u are pulling timing or knock.......Do u have a six speed or auto? Did u change something recently?
Old 04-12-2006, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SLO6
WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I never heard of a header leak causing a knock retard but a set of long tubes can cause a knock retard..... If you are getting knock take it to a pro to get it checked..... You might have something going on internally that you are not aware about. BUT how do u know u are pulling timing or knock.......Do u have a six speed or auto? Did u change something recently?
i have midlengths and im just thinking the exhaust leak *possibly if i have one* is causing a vibration

Quick Reply: would small exhaust leaks make the Knock S. pull timing?