General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

alternator problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 02:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need HELP pretty bad :(

Bummed out
I was installing my alternator tonight....

everything was going smooth but SOMEHOW when I was going to unconnect the sensor that goes in the alternator, the little wire snapped...So I just pulled out the alternator, then took out the sensor since it was unconnected from its wire... It's not the grounding cable one, but the one that actually plugs into the alternator... the wire snapped! Is there anything I can do to reconnect the wires or something or where can I buy that sensor... Another night of stressing and no sleep!

Also the old alternator has a bracket on it that lines it up w/ everything to put on...the new one is the same alternator thing but w/out the bracket...So Do I have to buy a bracket too?

Last edited by slow driver; 04-12-2006 at 03:10 AM.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

More pictures please...what year car?
Old 04-12-2006, 03:26 AM
Teching In

it's a 1999 camaro SS... I will take pics tomorrow of what i'm talking about...that was just a pic off the internet that looks similar to what im talking about...
Old 04-12-2006, 09:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Where did the wires snap off at? If they aren't too short you should be able to do a quick soldering
Old 04-12-2006, 11:49 AM
Teching In

hey guys I think I might be ok because this is what one of the members said...
It's not a sensor, just a connector. I know what you're talking about, that little wire is so tiny I was afraid that I would snap it as well.

Not a big deal. The female connector inside of it comes out. Take a small screwdriver and pry the little tabs until you can slide the silver piece out of the back. Take it to autozone and buy new ones, they're like $3 for a crapload of them. Take the small piece of wire that is still attached to the car and strip the plastic off of the end of it. Insert that into the new female piece, clamp it down hard, and then slip that small assembly back into the connector (don't forget which hole it came out of).