Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Surfinjoe Says HI w/ questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 09:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Surfinjoe Says HI w/ questions

I have been reading for a while and have decided to join and get more involved. Just wanted to day HI to all.

A couple of questions:

1) Why does everyone bash SLP? I have purchased many parts from them and am happy with the performance (Lid, MAF, Y-pipe, Bellows, Ram Air, Sub-frame, Strut Brace, K&N)

2) I have done almost all the free mods available (bump stop, port TB, H2O bypass, EGR, catch can). Any that I missed?

3) Next step is cam, heads & intake. I am thinking about the SLP 550 HP package, but is there anything out there that is better and less $$?

4) I just purchased my 1st set of new tires (Factory F1's sucked). I got the Kuhmo ESXTA tires. Kind of noisy some times. Is this normal?

PS - I am kind of hung over today so please be paitaint w/ me
Old 04-12-2006, 09:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the site. The slp question: I feel that they apeal to newbe's with there hp claims. Wait untill you have you car tuned with there MAF, I almost had to buy a gm one from the tuner the last time I had my car on the dyno. I also bought there y pipe to fit the stock mainifolds and cats. That was a waste of $$ . Point is there are alot of other sponsors out there with better products and better prices. Also there headers have clearance issues (hang to low). If your looking into a head and cam pacage look at some the other sponsors (MTI, texas speed, afr, tea, ect..). If you are going to put on a H/C your going to want headers, and you will need a new y pipe to fit the headers.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:10 AM
TECH Addict

basically with slp - smooth bellows are a $100 for a small piece of rubber that doesn't even give you any RWHP. basically you could have done that exact same mod for 6 bucks at your hardware store ( called the fernco mod ) and those powerpacks are a bunch of BS. also i have the kuhmo excstas, i don't noticed noise but then it might depend on how the roads are around you. get your ls6 intake used off here you can pick one up fairly cheap. good luck man.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. slp is over priced. their quiality on some parts is nice, but iv seen some slp headers with crazy booger welds (and they dont fit well)

2. yeah the free mods you did look sufficient, but also look up "Free ram air"

3. dont buy anything else from slp, there are a lot better combos, that wont get you 550hp no matter what it says.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:18 PM
TECH Veteran

SLP is too overpriced, trust me i know this, about 70% of my parts are SLP, and thats only cause I got them used at a good price,otherwise they are good products, with obsured hp claims...dont trust that. Welcome to the tech
Old 04-12-2006, 12:59 PM
Teching In

That sucks about SLP. Let me say that the Y-pipe made the SS exaust sound much louder & better. To me, that sounds like HP but I could be mistaken. Also, with all the mods that I have done my car does feel much faster. Is the MAF really junk? The only reason I purchased it was because I ripped the screen out of the stock one & felt bad about it.

Another question. Living in MI, my engine is very loud when she is cold. Is this piston slapping? Even the dealer picked up on it, but of course they insisted that it was 'IN SPEC'. Once it warms up it purrs like a kitten, but cold it sounds like a POS. Anything to worry about?????
Old 04-12-2006, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you drive it in the winter alot, you should reconsider the TB bypass mod. I also say SLP is junk, I fell to the same pitfalls, I thought their stuff was so good, but then I got my car dynoed, nothing, much. So I am always leary of thier HP claims. Also watch out for that GM High tech mag, they are pretty much SLP lapdogs over there, so all the numbers that come out of that mag are way over inflated. except for the cover cars, they usually have nothing SLP on them if you notice. Hmm wonder way? Welcome aboard