Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Tuning Books you would recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 02:31 PM
SBD
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Tuning Books you would recommend?

Waiting for EFILive V2 to hit. In the mean time, looking for a good book of LS tuning.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

best reading you can do on LSx tuning is in the stickies... there's no LSx specific book, and most books that detail tuning just describe the sensors of the car and what they do...
Old 04-12-2006, 03:15 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I write my own book as I go, and is nothing more than a compilation of words of wisdom from this site and HPT's forum (if I used Live, I would peruse their forum). Surfing the internet is prolly your best bet here...just be careful of the advice you get online. If something sounds fishy...
Old 04-12-2006, 04:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Books give you a general overview of the PCM and the sensors and how they all work, and they might hint at how to tune but come up short on the actual details.

As Mike and Steve said, read the sticky threads, and think about what you see posted in any forum to see if it makes sense; usually comments from the "people's court" will show you what/who is reliable information vs rubbish.

Also, if you're waiting for EFILive V2, download/install the current software .exe and play with it: http://www.efilive.com/download.aspx#v7

Read the tutorials: http://www.efilive.com/download.aspx#tutorials

Also, download and look at some tunes from here: http://www.holdencrazy.com/EFILive/

Regards
Joe
Old 04-12-2006, 11:22 PM
10 Second Club

I like the book "Corvette Fuel Injection and Fuel Management". It doesn't cover tuning, but is an excellent source of GM EFI that covers everything else. More importantly it will help you give a true understanding of EFI theory as well as the terminology used here and on other boards. I hate stabbing in the dark, so having a solid understanding should be mandatory before tuning.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

^^^ that book is good ( I own it... as well as basically any other book that could be construed as tuning related heh)

explains the various sensors well (which if you know what the sensors do, you can understand the tables in the PCM better)

(now that I'm near my book collection...

FYI: OBDIII Diagostic: The OBDII Bible... is junk, looks cool... but is just a bunch of info that anyone can find on this site)
Old 04-13-2006, 03:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

start with:
'how to tune and modify engine management systems' by Jeff Hartman--great intro/overview, yet already enough insight to keep you reading and make it useful.

then
'forced induction performace tuning' by Graham Bell--don't get confused by the name, a lot of time is spent explaining differences between NA, spray, supercharger, turbocharer designs, and even goes into running on different fuels (alcohol, nitrous)
'maximum boost' by Corky Bell (a lot of it is covered in graham bell's book, so buy that, but if you want it all, it's a very good book, explains turbos and all necessary accesories in fantastic detail)
and then there's THE bible, only if you got a lot of time, sharp brain and good education:
'Internal Combusion Engine Fundamentals' by john b heywood.

also , a good little helper is 'auto math handbook' by John Lawlor. tons of formulas and conversion, good quick lookup.

that's what i got so far. next on the list are:
"Modern Engine Tuning" and "Four-Stroke Performance Tuning" by Graham Bell and
Engine Management: Optimising Carburettors, Fuel Injection and Ignition Systems by Dave Walker
Old 04-13-2006, 10:06 AM
Launching!

Wouldn't it be cool if GM published some tuning guides. Maybe they could get themselves out of debt by selling books about their stuff!!! Better yet, they should have a tech line for all of us who do things to their cars and when we have a question, they could educate us the correct way instead of going through all of the hear say we find everywhere else.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RHS
'Internal Combusion Engine Fundamentals' by john b heywood.
If you really want to understand how ICE's work then get this book, it is very good, but be prepared for brain work.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SBD
Waiting for EFILive V2 to hit. In the mean time, looking for a good book of LS tuning.

Hello... If you would like to learn more about tuning in general Ben Strader's book would be a great place to start. It will teach you the basics and form a foundation that you can build from. He also offers classes around the country. Once you know the basics of tuning you can pick out any system and tune it.

www.efi101.com
Chris Macellaro
Old 04-13-2006, 10:21 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by macsperformance
Hello... If you would like to learn more about tuning in general Ben Strader's book would be a great place to start. It will teach you the basics and form a foundation that you can build from. He also offers classes around the country. Once you know the basics of tuning you can pick out any system and tune it.

www.efi101.com
Chris Macellaro
I have Ben's book.. it definately nice to have to read through as an overview.