Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Prothane Mounts questions..?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prothane Mounts questions..?

Anyone here have any experience w/ prothane motor / trans mounts ?
I am reading in the auto boards that some users experienced some vibration when changin from stock mounts... I used both engine and trans mounts (prothane) First day out it felt like my driveshaft snapped, a repetitive thud at highway speed under load in passing gear.. That has since calmed down to a vibration at 1500 and some shake / vibration on the highway anyone know if that is to be expected due to the increased rigidity of the new mounts ?
Am curious if anyone has gone through this personally ?
On the good side, I get sideways in a HURRY shifting into second under WOT and ASR off heheee Don't let my wife see that puhleese.
After reading the auto trans area I think the stalling could be fixed with a tune perhaps ( the hunt for idle at a sudden stop etc) I feel positive and crisp shifts up and down after the Transgo kit (yay) highway vibration seems the worst in 3rd (drive)
Anyone that has any thoughts ? Your time to respond will be apreciated

PS Will changing the TQ convertor change my idle ? I used a local rebuilt version of my OEM, and now it seems really really low,
600 in neutral and perhaps 450-500 in gear.. my oil pressure is down at 35 ish at that rpm is that an issue ? ( new Lingenfelter ported LS6 style oil pump btw)
Again, thanks for the help..

Last edited by 01T-TopToy; 04-12-2006 at 06:40 PM. Reason: changed title
Old 04-12-2006, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had a prothane tranny mount for three months and it drove me nuts. The vibration was bad going down the highway, my console was making buzzing noises as well. I changed back to my stock mount and the problem went away.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Eddie
Old 04-12-2006, 07:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sounds really strange to me... I have both the Prothane motor mounts and trans mount, and it has limited the motion of the drivetrain, not produced more. There is some vibration in the shifter, but not all that much. My engine used to rock back and forth with the cam I have, but with the poly motor mounts, it's stock still. Also, the shifter no longer shifts to the right on hard acceleration. Now the car itself shakes a little more, but it feels much more solid.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

Perhaps my way of stating the question was less than perfect, but what Fast Eddie is saying is pretty much what I am experiencing, right on the money with the console buzzing, and most assuredly Tranzor, the drive train is rock solid, as is evidenced by the Immediate way the tires smolder at launch and 1-2 upshifts, not sure but I may have heard 2-3 chirp a bit as well.. hard to say with the thunder and fury of the cat back goin on. Thanks for the replies guys !!
Old 04-12-2006, 09:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well to be honest Tranzors shakes like that to but every thing else in his car shakes to

I have Poly mount on the engine and at idle it can be racking. then again it might be the 240/247-.595/.608 cam I am not sure...

I have removed several poly trans mounts due to the reasons you are discribing
Old 04-12-2006, 10:20 PM
Pathological Modifier

Motor Mounts = GOOD

Trans mount = BAD

Nuff said.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:12 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I did one side poly only and dont have any trouble at all. Before I did them my engine was moving pretty good. Did the drivers side only and it solved the problem. I can feel the pulse of the motor more but it certainly doesnt buzz or rattle the dash or anything like that. The trans mount is still stock. I hear that changing the trans mount to poly will produce more vibration as well.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Well to be honest Tranzors shakes like that to but every thing else in his car shakes to
Yeah... my car is pretty loud, so a little shaking from the mounts isn't the most noticeable of noises for me.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:32 AM
On The Tree

Guess I will yank the Poly Trans Mount, re install a new OEM one ( Mumbles bad things) gonna have to BUY one cause I tossed the Old stocker ...D'oh.. and we go from there...the shop has to yank the tranny again next week as teh oil pan is leakin at the rear corner, so that would be the time to try a new TQ Verter if needed .. Thanks again for the help fella's
Old 04-13-2006, 09:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Ryan K
Motor Mounts = GOOD

Trans mount = BAD

Nuff said.
Thats EXACTLY what I have heard......motor mounts are great but adding trans mounts (along with motor mounts) make the car unbearable for DD stuff.

Quick Reply: Prothane Mounts questions..?