Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Need help choosing...Non-Intercooled Magnuson SC or CCW SP500s?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help choosing...Non-Intercooled Magnuson SC or CCW SP500s?

So I have a guy that's offering to trade me my CCW SP500s for his magnuson supercharger, pretty much straight up. What do you think I should do? Keep the wheels or go for the SC?
Old 04-13-2006, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

i would go for the SC. thats just me. the wheels are really nice but how do they compare to the price of the SC???
Old 04-13-2006, 11:25 AM
TECH Veteran

I would say on paper it sounds good but be careful when buying a used SC.........lots of stuff can be wrong/bad that are not noticeable right off.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

Supercharger.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by howierd42
Supercharger.
It's got 10k miles on it, and was pushing 475/460 on a stock ZO6 before it blew the engine. I figure 475/460 is about 450/440 on a A4 all other things equal, but w/ my few mods I could probably push 500/475 pretty easily w/ 6psi. The thing is, when will I really use this power. I'm looking at probably 440/420 (A4) w/ my next few mods, w/ 11.5-.6s, so w/ a Maggie I'm in 10s, but I don't want to put a roll cage. Man this sux. What to do....what to do?
Old 04-13-2006, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would skip the supercharger. I think 525ish is about the most you can get out of a Maggie, just because it's not real big. I was considering this SC for the 68 Camaro I want to build, but it won't meet my goals.

Other superchargers will make bigger HP.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm in a similar situation. If I add the whipple I'll blow by the 11.49 mark (into the 10's) have to buy all that extra junk.

Saying you were kicked out for running to fast sounds cool but ...

Certainly an interesting trade ... power is a good thing but also consider the CCC events later this year. It'd suck to dial in at 11.5 knowing you have more in there and sandbagging sucks in general.

What about your pistons and compression ratio? Knowing nothing of your engine, I'd think adding boost without forged and slightly lower compression would be a bit worrysome.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IF the maggie meets your goals than go for it and don't look back. If your car is mostly a street machine than I think with some alchy inj it will fill those needs well, if your going all out quickest track care then the maggie does have limits. I'm assuming since your throwing 19's on there the car is mostly a street car in which case the Maggie is a VERY nice setup.

If it was for an A & A setup then I would throw the wheels at him Wheels are something you can always pick up and there are other choices out there that are nice. Whats really said is the average person probably thinking chrome Z06 wheels look better then the CCW's you have to find someone who appreciates fine art.

I got alot more looks in my SOM with chrome SLP WS6 wheels then my Fikse's but when I had someone who knew what they were looking at like the guy who ended up buying it they hunt you down and want to talk to you
Old 04-13-2006, 02:13 PM
10 Second Club

I think a Maggie works well with a stock LS1 because it doesn't make a lot of boost. And if it did, the charge would be so hot the engine would blow. That said, I think you have stated the issue. Why do you need it? It will probably make your car "too fast".

Alos, buying a used blower is a risky thing. Since it's sole purpose in life is to get abused, can you feel good about it being in good shape? I bought Todd's because I KNOW Todd. He is very **** about keeping stuff in top shape. So if you know this guy, and he is that way, then maybe. Otherwise NO! And if it was on a motor that blew up.....
Old 04-13-2006, 02:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
I think a Maggie works well with a stock LS1 because it doesn't make a lot of boost. And if it did, the charge would be so hot the engine would blow. That said, I think you have stated the issue. Why do you need it? It will probably make your car "too fast".

Alos, buying a used blower is a risky thing. Since it's sole purpose in life is to get abused, can you feel good about it being in good shape? I bought Todd's because I KNOW Todd. He is very **** about keeping stuff in top shape. So if you know this guy, and he is that way, then maybe. Otherwise NO! And if it was on a motor that blew up.....

Todd is ****????
Old 04-13-2006, 03:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
That was pretty much my point......your scenario (Mark) was simple to justify because it came from Todd. Nuff said about that. Rey, IF you trust this guy 110% and know him, his driving style and the history of the motor/blower, then it is up to you. But if it blew up a motor already.....I would be a bit concerned. I know a guy who bought a "barely used" ATI for his '02 TA and ended up spending over $1500 in replacing little parts that were not good, damamged or otherwise not useable plus all the little bits & pieces that nickel and dime you to death. Amd doesn't that particular SC require a new hood as well? If so, there is more $$ to buy & paint it.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:32 PM
TECH Addict

I'm sending you a PM!
Old 04-13-2006, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are you talking about the wheel and tire package from CCW or just the wheels? Personally, I would stay with the wheels regardless. A non-intercooled Maggie is not worth it to me. Plus you would need to get a hood and get it painted.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ram-it
Are you talking about the wheel and tire package from CCW or just the wheels? Personally, I would stay with the wheels regardless. A non-intercooled Maggie is not worth it to me. Plus you would need to get a hood and get it painted.
Wheel and tire package. The hood wouldn't be an issue, I've got an LSX intake and NW TB (90/90) that I would sell to pay for it. Plus I'd get an MCM hood, to add that intimidation factor, but we'll see. I'm going to take Cory's advice and have magnasun check it out.

The thing I look at is, people will rarely see the SC, but the wheels are always going to be visible.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:43 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by tru_ice
Wheel and tire package. The hood wouldn't be an issue, I've got an LSX intake and NW TB (90/90) that I would sell to pay for it. Plus I'd get an MCM hood, to add that intimidation factor, but we'll see. I'm going to take Cory's advice and have magnasun check it out.

The thing I look at is, people will rarely see the SC, but the wheels are always going to be visible.
But with the supercharger, people won't see nothing buy your tail lights.....

I'd definatley have the S/C checked out first, and if its turns out fine.........well theres your answer. The supercharger will be a very nice compliment to your setup. However............if you wan't to keep racing legally, your gonna have to seriously consider a cage.

And look at it this way. If you get a 5 point roll bar with a swing out drivers side bar (that way you don't have to climb over it) your passanger won't be stressed to climb in and out of the car because there won't be a bar on that side. The car will be signifficantly more rigid and from the little research I've done (depending on brand) the bars fit very well and aren't intrusive like I thought they would be. Not to mention, some of the bars aren't that noticable....
Old 04-16-2006, 01:03 AM
8 Second Club

personally i say keep the wheels the ccws are soooo hot i wsh i could get some and last i talked to you you said you were getting the a&a setup anyhow. so here is what i think forged 408 and a t-88 or f1-r but to be serious get the a&a setup
Old 04-18-2006, 01:23 PM
Teching In

i would get both if possibble. how fast would your car be with a supercharger? wouldnt nitros be easier?

Quick Reply: Need help choosing...Non-Intercooled Magnuson SC or CCW SP500s?