LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Has anyone heard of this modification?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone heard of this modification?

I heard from a friend of mine that there is some mod you can do to your LT1 that will pick you up a couple tenths in the 1/8 and a few MPH. (Around a 3-5 MPH increase) I'm not sure what it is yet, but I heard that you need to take off the throttle body in order to do it. What could this mod be?

Also, my friend told me having a CAI will make the modification more effective. I'm confused...

Anyone ever heard of it, or know what it could be?
Old 04-13-2006, 08:03 PM
Launching!

It's the throttle body bypass, I really don't about the gains or the cai part but you basically take the coolant lines that route coolant through the tb and pull them from the tb and connect them so the hot coolant doesn't heat airflow through the tb do a search for it you'll find the details. And you don't have to pull the tb to do it.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be the throttle body bypass as was previously mentioned, and it could also be porting the intake manifold and installing a bigger bore throttle body. (Like a 58mm.) That would explain the "taking off the throttle body" part, since it's not actually necessary to remove the throttle body to perform the bypass mod.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:01 PM
Launching!

You wont get a couple tenths or a couple mph from doing the TB bypass if thats what he's talking about. But IIRC WS6.com did a back to back dyno and picked up like 7-10whp with it all across the board.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Could be the airfoil too but you wouldn't have to take it off then either. However, I don't buy the hoopla about an airfoil anyway.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tell that buddy of yours to try it on his car and let you know the results.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

He did try it and went from 78 MPH to 83 MPH in the 1/8...I still don't know what it is, but I know it's not the throttle body bypass. You wouldn't notice any kind of gain at the track with that mod.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camaro 0wner
He did try it and went from 78 MPH to 83 MPH in the 1/8...I still don't know what it is, but I know it's not the throttle body bypass. You wouldn't notice any kind of gain at the track with that mod.
thats close to 50 hp... you sure he's not talking about nitrous
Old 04-14-2006, 04:52 PM
Staging Lane

lol 5 mph from some free mod, i DONT THINK SO! hahaha
Old 04-14-2006, 04:59 PM
Staging Lane

lol, damn, sign me up when it gets figured out!
Old 04-14-2006, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I heard from a friend of mine that there is some mod you can do to your LT1 that will pick you up a couple tenths in the 1/8 and a few MPH.
Originally Posted by Shon Herron
Tell that buddy of yours to try it on his car and let you know the results.
He did try it and went from 78 MPH to 83 MPH in the 1/8...I still don't know what it is
Okay, so we've officially gone from "I've heard from a friend that this can be done" to "My friend actually did it." If your "friend" did actually do this mod, then why aren't you asking him about it instead of posting here and looking for pie in the sky guesses as to what it might be?

(Answer: gnidneS elpoep no eht ten no dliw esoog sesahc si nuf.)
Old 04-14-2006, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's not a good friend of mine, so I can just find out. Why do you have to try and be an a$$hole? (Answer: Because I have nothing else better to do)

I'm just curious if anyone has heard of anything like this before, because it seems irrational.

Sorry "thesoundandthefury" for posting on a site that talks about this kind of thing. I guess I'll just go read other peoples threads and not help them now...

It's a thread that *I* started and as long as it's related to cars, I don't see why it's a stupid post.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camaor 0wner
Sorry "thesoundandthefury" for posting on a site that talks about this kind of thing. I guess I'll just go read other peoples threads and not help them now...
1. I DID help you, by suggesting that the mod might be boring out the intake and installing a bigger throttle body.

2. Don't act all butt hurt when people start becoming suspicious of your claims because you can't keep your story straight.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, my butt does kind of hurt.

The boring intake thing was a good thought. Is that actually worth any gains? Will I need a tune or anything? Wouldn't boring the throttle body have a chance in causing my car to hit the rev limiter? (I have an A4)
Old 04-14-2006, 10:32 PM
Launching!

He put a nitrous plate in there.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:30 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah, my butt does kind of hurt.

The boring intake thing was a good thought. Is that actually worth any gains? Will I need a tune or anything? Wouldn't boring the throttle body have a chance in causing my car to hit the rev limiter? (I have an A4)
You can hit the rev limiter on a completely stock car. Sure you bore the intake and slap a larger throttle body on it, and yes you will need to tune for the additional air. The question is does the car need it. Its not a good idea to just start slapping mods like this on a car for if the car has no need for it. If is a stock car for the most part I doubt you see any gain. If you've added heads and cam or added a 383 than yes a mod like this may help.

Quick Reply: Has anyone heard of this modification?