Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Fluid change pics...Help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 09:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fluid change pics...Help.

Alright, I need help. My rear was howling when I had 2.73s and I brought it in. I got a new 3.73 AAM ring and pinion, new bearings, and auburn posi unit. The rear still howls and whirs the exact same from about 20 mph and up. It is mostly loud on the accell and decell. I can't bring it back to the shop that did the gears cause i moved 800 miles the day after i got the car back. I decided to do a fluid change and take a peak. the fluid was silver, not a great sign since i have only put 1500 miles on these gears. You can see the metal filings on the magnet. I dont know much about gear wear patterns, so i need some expert opinions. I put in Lucas non-sinthetic 80W90 and GM anti-slip in it and it still makes the same noise. What is goin on?????

Also, the last pic is of where my drive shaft meets the trans. Does everything look normal???

Old 04-14-2006, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

If the sound is exactly the same, maybe you have a bad carrier or axle bearing that they didn't change. They would have had to pull the old bearing off of the carrier to change it, and if they weren't experienced or were in a rush, they might have just reused it. Might have done a "looks fine" diagnosis instead of just taking 15 minutes to yank the old bearings and press new ones on.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The silver tint to the lube is not a good thing, you're right. It is bearing material. It's hard to tell which bearing it is until you take it apart. The pattern doesn't look too bad though...
Old 04-14-2006, 10:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd do it pretty quick or you'll risk messing up your new gears if one of those bearings goes out, mine went out a couple weeks ago, I put off changing the carrier bearings for a while, had them bought, now I can't do it without replacing gears too, got a 9" when it went out.
remains of my bearing:
Old 04-14-2006, 10:20 AM
Import Patrol

With new gears, you are also suppose to change the fluid after a certain amount of miles. You will get some metal shavings, just apart of the breaking in period.