General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Replaced my heads after they were rebuilt...........

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 12:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced my heads after they were rebuilt...........

And a new radiator. Engine runs like new. But now my "CHECK GAGES" light won't go out. Everything else is perfect.

Any ideas?

Also, I got the new radiator and it had an additional male dick sticking out of it. Bottom corner, driver side, engine side of the radiator. I just capped it off. Anyone know why there would be another coolant dick right there? My factory radiator didn't even have it.

Old 04-14-2006, 01:21 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maby your coolant level sensor? Its over on the passenger side below the cap, toward the battery. Just unplugging it will fix the problem if that is the problem. Mine has been zip tied to my a/c line for about 20k miles.

Oil pressure and everything look good?
Old 04-14-2006, 02:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
Maby your coolant level sensor? Its over on the passenger side below the cap, toward the battery. Just unplugging it will fix the problem if that is the problem. Mine has been zip tied to my a/c line for about 20k miles.

Oil pressure and everything look good?
Oil pressure is perfect and so is the coolant temp. and coolant level. The coolant level sensor has been bad for about one year, my white light on my dash always comes on after about 10 minutes of driving. But I never had a "Check Gages" light before. So it can't be that.

I cleaned the coolant level sensor as good as I could when I took it off to put onto the new radiator today.

Doesn't the check gages light come on for just 3 things: low or high voltage reading, low or no oil pressure with engine running and a failed rpm or speedometer.

Old 04-14-2006, 03:42 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can just unplug that coolant level sensor, they are notorious for being pieces of ****.

Did you take the alternator off for any reason? Maby you damaged the exciter wire? They are outrageously sensitive. Its the TINY red wire all by itself that plugs into the top of the alternator with a weather-tight connector.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
You can just unplug that coolant level sensor, they are notorious for being pieces of ****.

Did you take the alternator off for any reason? Maby you damaged the exciter wire? They are outrageously sensitive. Its the TINY red wire all by itself that plugs into the top of the alternator with a weather-tight connector.
We didn't touch the alternator, but I'll check to see if we damaged the wire.

Gotta drive from Lauderdale to Orlando right now (210 miles). Crossing my fingers.

Thanks.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:02 AM
12 Second Club

Doesn't the check gages light come on for just 3 things: low or high voltage reading, low or no oil pressure with engine running and a failed rpm or speedometer.

.[/QUOTE]

No the check gauges light will come on whenever any of the gauges is not reading the correct level (IE fuel level low).
Old 04-14-2006, 05:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by carrsls1_camaro

No the check gauges light will come on whenever any of the gauges is not reading the correct level (IE fuel level low).
The gage is reading whatever the level is...how does the gage know if its reading a level or perameter correctly? We all know the temp gage in F-Body's are junk, but that doesn't make the "check gages" light come on. Also, when the coolant level is low, which I've had for the past 6 months never made the "check gages" light come. Same with low oil light, I've never heard of a "check gages" light coming on with it.