Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Greddy catch can results after 6k miles!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 01:09 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Greddy catch can results after 6k miles!

Here's the carnage. I put the camshaft in the car, then got around to putting the catch can in a few hundred later. I got worried because i saw no oil on the sight glass so i pulled it out. As i was tilting it to get it out, i saw the oil level rise.

The sight glass fitting is not even with the bottom, and then there is a 90* elbow to get past. It would have started showing after a few more miles though. It has a drain plug so you don't have to remove it, but mine was just held in by 2 zip ties and 2 hose clamps.

The motor has 117k miles on it, started getting boltons at about 93k or so, cammed at 111k. I pulled the heads at 100k to replace the lifters and found the cylinder walls to be VERY nice. You could still easily see the cross-hatch (sp?) patterns and everything. It was coughing up quite a bit of oil, and the catch can seemed to catch most (all?) of it, as well as a bunch of sludge **** too.

Anway, I thought this thing did a damn good job. I went out and bought an oil/water separator to put in the line because i thought the Greddy unit was not working at all!

Here's the thread about where i got it, which one it is, how much it cost, and how i installed it.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/428410-pics-greddy-catch-can-install-56k.html

And here's the pics from today...

Old 04-14-2006, 03:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good, I'm probably going to go ahead and pick one of these up. You get it off ebay?

We use the 8mm catch can?

Also, is there anything between where the line feeds into and then out of the can to prohibit any oil mist from continuing on to the intake, such as a grille or mesh type setup?

I already know I'm getting **** into the intake, finger to the back of the TB blade proved that.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:14 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LSWannabe
Looks good, I'm probably going to go ahead and pick one of these up. You get it off ebay?

We use the 8mm catch can?

Also, is there anything between where the line feeds into and then out of the can to prohibit any oil mist from continuing on to the intake, such as a grille or mesh type setup?

I already know I'm getting **** into the intake, finger to the back of the TB blade proved that.
Yes I got it from Ebay. There is another company that sells one that looks JUST like it, and it's WAY cheaper. I would just get that one instead. It is actually the "9mm" version, so you can use 3/8" fuel line like the rest of the system.

No there is no mesh/grille, but after traveling through that much hose, then hitting a cooled down big hunk of aluminum, I think the oil is running down the inside of the hose, then down the side of the catchcan. I was thinking about maby stuffing some stainless steel wool or something in there to help a bit. I thought the thing was not working because it had no mesh or anything, but I was wrong!

What I'm wondering about now is that hose going from front of the passenger valve cover to the throttle body. I know some **** gets in through there, and I'm wondering if i could just disconnect and plug the valve cover and throttle body without any ill effects. I've seen it referred to as the "fresh air tube" or something of that nature. Anyone know exactly what it does? Just looks like another PCV thing to me, which makes me want to junk it too.
Old 04-14-2006, 04:37 PM
11 Second Club

at one time i ran a breather filter on that tube from the valve cover to the TB

but after about a 1000 miles there was not much build up, or lets say as much build up so i ditched it and went back to just piping recently blinged it out a little though:

Old 04-14-2006, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thats sort of like mine I just made 11 bucks for the filter and 19 for the steel hose

Quick Reply: Greddy catch can results after 6k miles!