Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pics of my new air intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Pics of my new air intake

Heres some pics of my new setup. I debaffled the hood, got the corner pieces from the BGRA and installed the Volant kit.
I was a little worried about the rain, so I made my own rain blocking plate. I took a thin piece of galvanized steel, cut it, trimmed the corners, punch a few holes in the middle, and painted it black. I used a strip of magenetic material on the inside of the hood to hold it on. It works extremely well. It keeps the filters dry, even at highway speed. I've never had it fall off, or even move a cm when its on, and it only takes about 15 sec. to put it on if I get stuck in the rain.
pic1: view from a distance
pic2: up close
pic3: Volant
pic4: rainblocking plate
pic5: plate installed (took this pic in the sun because in the rain, you cant tell its there)
Attached Thumbnails Pics of my new air intake-frontview2.jpg   Pics of my new air intake-filterview.jpg   Pics of my new air intake-intake.jpg   Pics of my new air intake-rainplate.jpg   Pics of my new air intake-plateview.jpg  

Old 04-14-2006, 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

Nice work !
Old 04-14-2006, 11:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you will get very little airflow through the hood scoops, but it looks good.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls1mongrel
Nice work !
Thanks alot!
Originally Posted by 11 Bravo
I think you will get very little airflow through the hood scoops, but it looks good.
Thanks. Maybe not, but at highway speed its got to be better than having those baffles in there. It was cool out the other night when I got home, and I popped the hood, and everything from the filters back was cold to the touch, maf, tb, and the intake manifold.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:52 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looks nice
Old 04-14-2006, 11:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JBIRD02
Thanks. Maybe not, but at highway speed its got to be better than having those baffles in there. It was cool out the other night when I got home, and I popped the hood, and everything from the filters back was cold to the touch, maf, tb, and the intake manifold.
I used the snow method lol. Drove my car on the highway after a small snowstorm. Everywhere air hit the car, the snow blew off. The snow inside the front of the scoops didn't move. The way the nose is designed, air blows up past the scoops, not really into them.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chrs1313
looks nice
Thanks!

I used the snow method lol. Drove my car on the highway after a small snowstorm. Everywhere air hit the car, the snow blew off. The snow inside the front of the scoops didn't move. The way the nose is designed, air blows up past the scoops, not really into them.
Hmmm, interesting. Just curious, did you have the front license plate cover on? According to the BGRA site, if you have it off (so you can have a tag in the front) it disrupts the airflow and wont reach the scoops. I'm not trying to debate you, just want to get an idea of how good the hood scoops actually work. FWIW, the new filters are as dirty in 2 weeks, as the drop in K&N filter would get in over a month, but only where the hood opening is. The rest of the filter looks brand new. Oh well, now that I mention it, I guess I gotta go clean my air filters!
Old 04-14-2006, 03:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JBIRD02
Just curious, did you have the front license plate cover on?
The plate cover has always been on.
Old 04-15-2006, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

The plate cover has always been on.
10-4, btw checked out your webshots, nice!
Old 04-16-2006, 02:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How much did it all cost?
also did you paint the inside of the hood?
As for the nose design, does anyone have access to a wind tunnel???
Old 04-16-2006, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cumbias
How much did it all cost?
also did you paint the inside of the hood?
As for the nose design, does anyone have access to a wind tunnel???
My friend got me the Volant through his shop for $250, normally theyre about $300, the plate was free just took time. Yes, I did paint the inside of the hood because you could see white lines where the baffles were.
Yeah, wheres a wind tunnel when you need one!
Old 04-16-2006, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

howhat did you use to paint it?
Old 04-17-2006, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cumbias
howhat did you use to paint it?
I just used some Duplicolor primer and 500* Dulpicolor flat black
Old 05-04-2006, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

So, any diffence since the mod? more punch or not noticable? thinking of doing it myself if it works well enough.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I liked this setup because it seals to the hood and blocks engine heat, and considering that I "debaffled" the hood the hood at the same time, I figured more air + cooler air is worth about 6-8 HP (give or take a couple) on the top end, but pretty equal to a lid everywhere else. I dont have any dyno #'s to back this up, and the 'ol butt dyno isnt sensitive enough to feel a few extra horses, but I'm really happy with it.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:48 PM
TECH Resident

I got the same intake, but have the SLP ho hood. I also have the SSRA, and Im having the bottom of the volant cut out to match up with the ssra.

Jeff recommended not to remove the baffles for a DD. Sigh.. I so wanted to ! them! hehe./
Old 07-26-2006, 01:10 PM
Staging Lane

I know this an old thread but I laughed when I read this. Where was the snow supposed to go if it was inside the front of the scoops. Air would have been trying to push it through the baffles not forward out of the scoops IMO it may not be a true ram-air causing a positive pressure condition but it has got to help your IAT temps. Lower IAT=More Timing+Denser Air Charge=More HP
Old 07-26-2006, 01:16 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dip Stick
I got the same intake, but have the SLP ho hood. I also have the SSRA, and Im having the bottom of the volant cut out to match up with the ssra.

Jeff recommended not to remove the baffles for a DD. Sigh.. I so wanted to ! them! hehe./
ive been debaffled for 7 months now and been throw countless rain storms and puddles nad what not and im talking turential down poors and its never been an issue me and my buddy purposly went out to test and my filter wasnt even wet...not even a drip of water the nostils were and the air box assembly ws sorta wet but i have never had a problem and ive done both in town and highway tests in the storms so do it!!!!
Old 07-26-2006, 01:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by YellowMonster87
ive been debaffled for 7 months now and been throw countless rain storms and puddles nad what not and im talking turential down poors and its never been an issue me and my buddy purposly went out to test and my filter wasnt even wet...not even a drip of water the nostils were and the air box assembly ws sorta wet but i have never had a problem and ive done both in town and highway tests in the storms so do it!!!!
i agree, mine has been debaffled for well over a year now and since its my DD i drive it through very strong rain storms sometimes. i wouldn't have taken the baffles out if i would have thought that there was enough vacuum to suck water through the filter and into the intake.