Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Base HP dyno, MAF was wacky?!? need advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 05:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Base HP dyno, MAF was wacky?!? need advice

i was on a mustang dyno today, getting a baseline HP reading..
the shop owner showed me that at idle, my MAF was fluctuatiing between 3.8-4.6 volts, out of 5 volts i assume...

he said that was very unusual...and that idling it shoudl be abour 0.8-1.0, then as the engins runs higher RPM's, that number will rise....is this correct?? he wasn't sure why it was happening.....and asked me if i had touched the MAF at all...all i EVER did with the maf was take it off to add a fernco bellow...i wiped the maf with a cloth (NOT THE LIL SENSORS!!), just the inside of the metal housing...and DID NOT descreen...soo

is this all making sense?!?!?
Thanks
Old 04-14-2006, 05:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

The airlfow reading of the MAF is in Hertz not Volts, although there is going to be voltage there. Was he talking about MAF input or output??
Old 04-14-2006, 08:03 PM
On The Tree

i think you should ignore the shop owner.

1st hint "Mustang Dyno" lol
Old 04-14-2006, 08:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tripintaz

Whats wrong with a mustang dyno??
Old 04-14-2006, 09:53 PM
TECH Addict

Hes a real nice guy so far...prices are normal, not low, not high....he deals primarily with fords but has owned almost any car you can imagine...
i mean too bad SOUTH FLORIDA doesnt have any reputable F BODY shops HINT HINT COUGH COUGH

So i go to him...

ANYWAYS.....the car runs fine...i wont worry about it....and i guess its hertz i dunno...

by the way...as far as mustang dynos go and dyno jets, i heard dyno jets overrate HP by up to 30%....i read in an article that mustang dynos are more accurate for finding RWH.....anyone have any input for that
thanks
Old 04-14-2006, 11:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by brad8266
Whats wrong with a mustang dyno??

Originally Posted by erikthegoalie
he deals primarily with fords

Ding Ding Ding
Old 04-15-2006, 01:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Ford mafs output a variable voltage, while gm mafs ouput a frequency signal. I suppose that would be an easy mistake for a ford guy to make.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:50 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Erik, What shop did you go to? I agree that there isn't any guys around here that now GM's. I heard that Horsepower Sales in Ft. Lauderdale has Mike Norris come down like once a month to do tunes on their dyno. I think that he is supposed to know his ****.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:28 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there are many GM only shops that use a mustang dyno...it was just coincidence he was mainly a ford guy.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ding Ding Ding
Apparently you dont know **** about dynos. Mustang dyno has nothing to do with mustang the car, shows your ignorance.

The guy dealing with Fords is way better than a lot of shops that deal with mostly rice.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:05 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Apparently you dont know **** about dynos. Mustang dyno has nothing to do with mustang the car, shows your ignorance.

The guy dealing with Fords is way better than a lot of shops that deal with mostly rice.
took the words out of my mouth...i just sugar coated it
Old 04-15-2006, 10:39 AM
TECH Addict

yeah guys....Mustang is the company name....its not like its ONLY for a mustang...my car was on it yesterday and so was a brand new c6
soo...plus, hey its local and where else am i supposed to go...by the way, yes mike norris comes down and i will be first on the list when i am ready for my Head/Cam/Exhaust tune!!
thanks for the input on my problem with the MAF as well..
Erik
Old 04-15-2006, 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
Erik, What shop did you go to? I agree that there isn't any guys around here that now GM's. I heard that Horsepower Sales in Ft. Lauderdale has Mike Norris come down like once a month to do tunes on their dyno. I think that he is supposed to know his ****.

RazorsEdge in Margate FLorida, nice place, nice guys...spent 8 hours there helping them with cars, they said they didnt mind having my helping hand...on minor stuff of course hahah, ive NEVER been in a shop that cool
two thumbs up!
erik
Old 04-15-2006, 11:45 AM
On The Tree

I think you missed the whole idea "mr smarty pants"

The shops with mustang dyno's I have been to around here work primarily on fords. Hence they dont know too much about GM cars. Infact I had a Ford tuner tell me the same thing " you might want to check your MAF voltages blah blah blah" All I was there for was to use the dyno, I didnt need his advice on tuning my car, I can do it myself. Thats all I was saying, was that the ford guy didnt know what he was talking about. So next time before you get on your high horse and pass judgement on someone and call them names. Why dont you take a look in the mirror and call yourself a hypocrit. And why the hell would you think that I thought only mustangs can go on mustang dynos???? pffffttttt I think you should be checking your ignorance level, not mine

Oh and Im giving you the middle finger too.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think you missed the whole idea "mr smarty pants"

The shops with mustang dyno's I have been to around here work primarily on fords. Hence they dont know too much about GM cars. Infact I had a Ford tuner tell me the same thing " you might want to check your MAF voltages blah blah blah" All I was there for was to use the dyno, I didnt need his advice on tuning my car, I can do it myself. Thats all I was saying, was that the ford guy didnt know what he was talking about. So next time before you get on your high horse and pass judgement on someone and call them names. Why dont you take a look in the mirror and call yourself a hypocrit. And why the hell would you think that I thought only mustangs can go on mustang dynos???? pffffttttt I think you should be checking your ignorance level, not mine

Oh and Im giving you the middle finger too.
Complete BS. Heres an example: call Bob at Exotic Perfromance Plus and ask him what cars he does work on and then ask him what type of dyno he uses. then ask anyone here about his level of knowledge working on GM's and you will feel like an ***. Do you even understand the differences in the types of dynos? Probably not. Or just do a search on it and you will find out the contrary. I never even said you thought that only stangs go on mustang dynos, but you seemed to have tried to associate mustangs and mustang dynos for some reason. If you forgot how you drew up that association then just read the posts above.

You associated a shop owner with the type of dyno he had because it was called a mustang dyno.

Please tell me how I am a hypocrite as I didnt tell you anything to make you think that. Do you even know what that word means? For me to be a hypocrite I would have to say one thing but do another. Kinda like the "practice what you preach" thing. So where did I not "practice what I preach"?

Last edited by brad8266; 04-15-2006 at 03:48 PM.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:51 PM
On The Tree

You associated a shop owner with the type of dyno he had because it was called a mustang dyno.

and I was right Mustangs deal with maf VOLTAGE, GM's deal with FREQUENCY. Thats the ONLY refference I was implying. Stop antagonizing me and putting words in my mouth.

I know the difference in dyno's, stop assuming you know so much about me please. Im not new to GM muscle/sports car world. I know alot more then you think.....obviously
Old 04-15-2006, 04:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

and I was right Mustangs deal with maf VOLTAGE, GM's deal with FREQUENCY. Thats the ONLY refference I was implying. Stop antagonizing me and putting words in my mouth.

I know the difference in dyno's, stop assuming you know so much about me please. Im not new to GM muscle/sports car world. I know alot more then you think.....obviously
I didnt say you dont know anything. You said the shop owner should be ignored because he uses a mustang dyno. That just sounds stupid. there are plenty of GM tuners using mustang dynos. If you meant otherwise then fine.

Yeah you were right, the guy was a more of a Ford tuner and knew MAF to be Voltage. Thats great that you knew that. But then you said the shop owner should be ignored. First hint "Mustang Dyno".
That is what I just dont get.

I still would like to know how I am a hypocrite though???
Old 04-15-2006, 05:06 PM
On The Tree

ok your not a hypocrite, and I didnt explain my "assumption" well enough in the 1st post.

can we stop arguing now?
Old 04-15-2006, 05:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

yeah..
Old 04-16-2006, 09:13 AM
TECH Addict

guys guys....woah....lets put it this way...screw what kind of dyno it is...i got my answer haha, and i will goback to the shop for some work..

thats that