General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

dang im pissed

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 06:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default dang im pissed

iwent to go buy some GC 0w-30 i went and drained all of my oil, and installed a new filter, now i went to fill up, only to find that 3 of the bottles were the gold stuff WTF i didnt kno there was two types of the german made stuff all the bottles said made in germany, so i came on here and i found out the you have to lookk at some code 501 and lower is green and 501 and higher is gold. i had no chioce but to mix it i have only one car, and i was in a hurry,!!! but im pissed i thought it was all the same.

what codes do i look for????

is it okay that i mixed it????

Last edited by mcamarols1; 04-14-2006 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is that racing oil? i've never heard of it. besides the manual calls for 5w-30. i would just go with a synthetic.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I mixed them one oil change because they phased out the green and the gold was all I could get. I've run the gold the past few oil changes, oil pressure is just as solid as it was with the green. If you look, it's still made in Germany. Probably just an improved formula...or they made it a lot cheaper and are selling it for the same price.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:10 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by mcamarols1
what codes do i look for?
The green is being / has been phased out for the new gold. So you could hunt around for the right codes, but they've been getting harder and harder to find, and eventually there won't be any more anywhere (some areas are already bought out). The gold hadn't had as much thorough testing as the green yet, but last I saw, the general consensus was that the new gold is just as good as the green.

Originally Posted by mcamarols1
is it okay that i mixed it?
It's not ideal, but shouldn't cause any problems. http://www.citgo.com/Products/LubesO...EngineOils.jsp says it's even okay to mix different brands if you need to, so I'd think variations of the same brand should be okay.
Myth: You can't mix brands of motor oil.
Fact: Mixing brands is not the best practice because the additive systems in each may be different and when mixed may not function as efficiently as desired. However, no serious problems will occur if you must add a different brand of equivalent quality between oil changes. It is very important to maintain proper oil level.
Originally Posted by sgt0704
is that racing oil? i've never heard of it. besides the manual calls for 5w-30. i would just go with a synthetic.
German Castrol 0w30 has quite a following, guess you haven't been reading very many threads about oil if you haven't heard of it before

It is a synthetic. And it tends to act heavier than its rating is, so IIRC its weight is really more comparable to the 5w ones.

Last edited by ACW; 04-19-2006 at 12:21 AM.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:34 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sgt0704
German Castrol.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what makes that oil better than say mobil 1 or royal purple or something along those lines?
Old 04-20-2006, 01:22 PM
TECH Resident

Thanx Next Time Ill Get The Same Kind, The Reason I Was Mad Was; I Couldnt Find Any Of This Oil, And When I Did I Bought It At Once, And As Soon As I Poured It In I Noticed They Were Different, This Is My First Time Usein This Oil And Im Not Dissapointed.