Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

need advice on tools

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 12:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need advice on tools

I am about to buy some most probably bare/polished aluminum wheels. Therefore I am going to need a floor jack, jack stands, and drill for when I polish them. I was wondering what would be my best option for both a $100 floor jack or $200 floor jack, simliarly a $100 drill or $200 drill, cordless preferred.
Budget is somewhat of a concern, but if my allotted budget is too low, please let me know.

Thanks

Robert
Old 04-18-2006, 03:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As unpopular as they are around here, the craftsman shop jack + jackstands is probably the best deal around if they still have it. I haven’t had any problems with mine but sometimes it seems that I’m the only one

If I was going to buy another though I’d probably spend a few $ more and buy a Lincoln one from Costco, I don’t know anyone that is unhappy with them, and I really like my 3 and 6 ton harbor freight jack stands.

If you’re doing real polishing most cordless drills are a waste of time unless you’re only going to do a little at a time. When I need real power and or speed I use my corded Milwakee 3/8” magnum hole shooter that I ditched the original chuck off of and added a 3/8 shaft to ˝” chuck Jacobs keyless conversion chuck. OTOH, for polishing with minibuffs it’s hard to beat an air die grinder…
Old 04-20-2006, 12:37 PM
Staging Lane

My jack is a Lincoln from a local tool store. I would have bought it from Farm & Fleet but when I called and asked the lady what their price was on it she said I couldn't afford it.

I guess I could since I bought it from a tool store that day.
Old 04-23-2006, 02:30 PM

Craftsman for all of it. Get the Aluminum & steel race jack for $100. Jackstands for $25 & the cordless 14.4V drill is like $40.

I have the craftsman Jack & wall Mart jack stands ($10) and a Dewalt cordless drill $169.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:48 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Silverback
If you’re doing real polishing most cordless drills are a waste of time unless you’re only going to do a little at a time. When I need real power and or speed I use my corded Milwakee 3/8” magnum hole shooter that I ditched the original chuck off of and added a 3/8 shaft to ˝” chuck Jacobs keyless conversion chuck. OTOH, for polishing with minibuffs it’s hard to beat an air die grinder…
Exactly, for polishing you don't want a cordless.

Buy a nice Dewalt setup or something similar. The cord isn't really a PITA. But swapping, and waiting for batteries to charge is. Plus the cordless won't have anywhere near the power.