Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

smooth shifting

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 02:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default smooth shifting

I just drove the porsche caymen s, is there any transmission made for our cars that can shift this smoothly?
Old 04-16-2006, 05:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

is that a serious question?
Old 04-16-2006, 05:40 PM
Teching In

i know this is a dumb question to alot of yall. but the question is how do you start your own little forum thingy. im talking about like how this one is called smooth shifting and how people could respond to it. how do i start my own? sorry this is off topic and to use your post thingy for my question but this is starting to get frustating when all im trying to do is ask a couple of questions for my camaro.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, I know that the porsche has so called "german engineering" but one would think that someone has to have come up with an aftermarket transmission that can be put into gear without massive force.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SuperSportOnMine
i know this is a dumb question to alot of yall. but the question is how do you start your own little forum thingy. im talking about like how this one is called smooth shifting and how people could respond to it. how do i start my own? sorry this is off topic and to use your post thingy for my question but this is starting to get frustating when all im trying to do is ask a couple of questions for my camaro.
hit the new thread button in the top left corner
Old 04-16-2006, 05:46 PM
Teching In

where? is there suppose to be a certain page i got to go to cause i dont see a new thread starter button.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:06 PM
mcG
TECH Resident

keep in mind the cayman s is a $60k car...
Old 04-16-2006, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mcG
keep in mind the cayman s is a $60k car...
yes, the cayman is a 60+K car but so is the Z06. I haven't driven the new Z06 but I haven't heard anyone mention a huge difference in the clutch. My honda shifts smoothly and I can shift that thing far quicker than my WS6, but I just figured that it was a horsepower issue and that muscle cars needed a "tough" transmission. The porsche shows that its not the horsepower, so I'm just wondering what exactly is different. I'll admit my ignorance to the internals of a transmission, but seemingly an aftermarket company if not GM could at least match honda if not porsche.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

where? is there suppose to be a certain page i got to go to cause i dont see a new thread starter button.
When you first click into a forum, I mean the main thing like externals. It will be in the top left corner under the banner. It will not be there if you're reading a topic.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RealLiveMD
yes, the cayman is a 60+K car but so is the Z06. I haven't driven the new Z06 but I haven't heard anyone mention a huge difference in the clutch. My honda shifts smoothly and I can shift that thing far quicker than my WS6, but I just figured that it was a horsepower issue and that muscle cars needed a "tough" transmission. The porsche shows that its not the horsepower, so I'm just wondering what exactly is different. I'll admit my ignorance to the internals of a transmission, but seemingly an aftermarket company if not GM could at least match honda if not porsche.
The Cayman S is making a measily 250ft.lbs of torque (torque is what breaks things) compared to our stock LS1 with 375ft.lbs give or take.
The T-56 isnt really known for the best shifts, but it can take a decent amount of torque(hell, same tranny is Vipers).
Start out by buying an aftermarket shifter, then see if you want a different tranny still.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RealLiveMD
stricter tolerences when being assembled is what i always figured seeing how they were each(porche, honda..etc) assembled/manufactured in foreign country's.

it is always better to post into an existing thread, the search button can help ya find what your looking for.

changing trans fluid and shifter will help you in that area and tons of info can be found about either of these by using the method above.

otherwise gl
Old 04-16-2006, 11:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by black00TA
stricter tolerences when being assembled is what i always figured seeing how they were each(porche, honda..etc) assembled/manufactured in foreign country's.

it is always better to post into an existing thread, the search button can help ya find what your looking for.

changing trans fluid and shifter will help you in that area and tons of info can be found about either of these by using the method above.

otherwise gl
I've done my homework, that's why I'm ruhning synchromesh, and while many swear by lou's shortstick, others prefer their stock Hurst as I have. The original question was more to get opinions or ideas about a particular company or reason why there is such a difference between these trans types.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I hope you got it figured out, I haven't posted in a while, remember go to main page , then forums, then choose a subtopic and it will be in the left corner a blue "new thread" button.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Go back to that Cayman and attempt a drag-start/ hard shift .You will find that the entire shift mechanism will detatch from the trans= it cannot take what is expected in the Fcar market. It is designed that way( do dis-connect)which also defines how the fine German engineering dictates how the car will be used( or not be used).It is also a cable mechanism that cannot be "tuned " adequately to give the feel of a direct-mount linkage. While I can understand your opinion that this is a smoothe shifting box, there are others here that would classify that shift action as a numb limp noodle , I do. I am comparing this to my 99WS6 . It has the feel I prefer for shiftability.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by calhoon
Go back to that Cayman and attempt a drag-start/ hard shift .You will find that the entire shift mechanism will detatch from the trans= it cannot take what is expected in the Fcar market. It is designed that way( do dis-connect)which also defines how the fine German engineering dictates how the car will be used( or not be used).It is also a cable mechanism that cannot be "tuned " adequately to give the feel of a direct-mount linkage. While I can understand your opinion that this is a smoothe shifting box, there are others here that would classify that shift action as a numb limp noodle , I do. I am comparing this to my 99WS6 . It has the feel I prefer for shiftability.

I dont think so............. I have never seen a boxster or cayman "discconect" regardless of the circumstances and I Have seen many abused cars maybe even abused a few myself. It is a cable deal and I think its a lil loose but its a real improvment over the 996/986.