View Poll Results: Small Claims Court: Who would WIN?
I would win due to "brick".
70.59%
Rapid Express Carwash would win due to disclaimer.
29.41%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Need Opinion:Rapids Carwash in Arlington F'ed up my exhaust!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 03:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Opinion:Rapids Carwash in Arlington F'ed up my exhaust!!

well.... after my sons soccer game I was supposed to drive to mesquite to the inlaws house to watch UFC 59 (or whatever number) on PPV. Well... I told the wife I wanted to wash the car.... she said we dont have time... I said it was only noon..... I won..... drove to Cooper.... ( I have a sticker on my windshield for this carwash... I have been there billions of times..... they just scan the sticker)

The car starts going thru... the exhaust catches on some bricks they have next to the roller rails....... I saw the brick after the fact... Car was jackknifing in the air over and over.. I laid on the horn and they finally shut the machine off!

It pulled the Y-pipe off the Header.... also pulled the o2 bung off plume out of the header and bent the header in some... also bent the Y-pipe back where it connects to the I-pipe. Like I said.. i have gone thru this wash many times with no problems.... Man I am pissed!

This F-er named Jerrod (I guess he is manager for the day or some ****) says get it fixed and I will give you FREE (f'ing) carwashes for the cost of the repair!!! WTF???? I was pissed.... I go down the road to M & M muffler... they heat the pipe to move it back in place... It was still short so he pulled the clamps off and moved the pipe forward to connect it to the header... tack welded the header.. welded the Y-pipe piece after the header to the rest of the Y-pipe where it was clamped..... heats the o2 bung to move it lback in the hole in the header.... I am down the road after $50.00. I go back to the carwash... the F-er says you told me your car was lowered... and you have non-factory exhaust... Sign says we are not liable for non-factory equipment!!! WTF.... my exhaust never was a problem before.... and it sits as tight as the stocker. pretty much... that F'ing brick caused the problem.... he says the brick has been there all day and no other cars had issues.... I finally leave (or I would have gone to jail for murder)..... tell him I will call my attorney..

what do you guys think? My header is screwed up, y-pipe is bent to hell, and o2 sensor is broke.

Them or Me? Legal recourse?

To fix the header you would need to pull it off to expand it back the way it was.... Cell pics will be posted shortly.!

Last edited by WizeAss; 04-16-2006 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:36 PM
On The Tree

I woulda killed somebody.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if this was on your trans am, shame on you for putting it through an automatic car wash.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would probably have explained to him the clearence, explained how i use the carwash all the time, never had an issue before, and would not like to have an issue in the future. If they would like to keep their customer, they will pay for the repair. Not in carwashes, in cash.

Persuasiveness and calmness will generally get you out of any situation. It's about getting the person to see you as their intellectual superior. It's worked for me lots of times.

Deff would have been pissed though, damage to a car is damage to a car, they are very much liable whether a sign says so or not, in that your business is determined by their hospitality.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:20 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by slayer_taunu
if this was on your trans am, shame on you for putting it through an automatic car wash.
my car is no show car... remember the post about a paintjob estimate... I wash it this way cuz it is easy and I have a 2000 with scratches, swirls, missing clearcoat, and bubbles on the top.... so no shame here!
Old 04-15-2006, 04:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Forteen3GT

my car is no show car...
fair enough... i guess i have to understand that not everyone is as OCD as i am about their car.

but at least bring it to the do-it-yourself car wash that you gotta pump quarters in... less likely to have such issues!!! personally, i always wondered if 275mm tires would even fit in those tracks... i guess they do!

but to give you a serious response: ya, i feel bad for what happend, but they are right in not being responsible for damage to non stock **** that hangs lower, etc. i just broke an exhaust hanger coming out of a CVS parking lot the other day... should i sue them for having the incline of their driveway too steep? or do i just accept the fact that 99% of the world is not designed to accomodate the needs of the owners of specialty vehicles...
Old 04-15-2006, 05:13 PM
10 Second Club

pics......

Last edited by WizeAss; 04-15-2006 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-15-2006, 05:18 PM
TECH Addict

mike,

can the header be bent back without damaging it? and is the o2 that got ripped off a rear o2 or a front one?
Old 04-15-2006, 05:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

fair enough... i guess i have to understand that not everyone is as OCD as i am about their car.

You say you are OCD about your car... You are no where near as bad as I am

Man for what happened you should have had the manager put something down in writing and thrown a fit when they said they would give you a car wash for the cost of repair. That's not crap and they should have to pay for a repair and not a crappy patch job like you got. I had a problem a while back where I had to have a shop pay to have something fixed on my car that one of the workers did. I made the people put something down in writing before I left and I made sure they said they would pay for damages.

I think you are pretty much screwed
Old 04-15-2006, 05:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

mike,

can the header be bent back without damaging it? and is the o2 that got ripped off a rear o2 or a front one?

There is no front or rear o2s since he has headers its only one per side
Old 04-15-2006, 06:41 PM
10 Second Club

mike,

luckily the header was not bent... the O2 was ripped out... the drivers side had a hole in it... it was still hanging on..... he heated it and pushed it back to close the hole a bit.. I told him not to weld it... it is not round... kinda bent in a bit. not too too bad... rear o2
Old 04-15-2006, 06:47 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01 Red WS6
You say you are OCD about your car... You are no where near as bad as I am

Man for what happened you should have had the manager put something down in writing and thrown a fit when they said they would give you a car wash for the cost of repair. That's not crap and they should have to pay for a repair and not a crappy patch job like you got. I had a problem a while back where I had to have a shop pay to have something fixed on my car that one of the workers did. I made the people put something down in writing before I left and I made sure they said they would pay for damages.

I think you are pretty much screwed
i called Jerrod an hour ago... he told me the brick was put there yesterday or so.... what happens is 500 cars and a few H2's and Deisels go thru and pull the rail up a bit... he admitted it needed to be welded... the brick has a gash where my exhaust caught on it.... my car having an aftermarket exhaust, being lowered combined with the brick caused the problem. He said normally washes is how they compensate for broken antennas etc.... I bet he didnt know it was gunna be 500.00+ worth of damage..

sounds like he is going to talk to the big boss this week.... inform him about what happened.... maybe meet me in the middle plus FREE washes

I was more calm this time... explained to him what I thought... and that I am a "loyal" customer..... they are the best wash in town. and the rack fits 13inch tires and usually accepts lowered cars... that is why I go there.....

50.00 repair was just to get the car home w/o driving with an open header!
Old 04-15-2006, 06:48 PM
On The Tree

Small claims court.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:04 PM
TECH Addict

same *type* of thing happened to me a number of months ago, My car went into the automatic washer at this one place, and when it came out the other end I was missing a tailight blackout. Manager comes out and says they arent reliable for ANY aftermarket parts, but if I brought him a receipt he would give me free car washes in the amount of. WTF???
Old 04-15-2006, 09:15 PM
10 Second Club

I think they owe me for the cost of the repair.... thanks to the damn "Brick" being somewhere it shouldn't!
Old 04-15-2006, 09:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

There car wash was broken and it needed to be fixed. If it had been in proper working condition it wouldn't have happened.

I think they should pay for repairs regardless of what you have done to the car. What if another car had come in that sat lower or just as low as yours? I bet it could have also happened. A brick isn't a proper fix for something that needs welding
Old 04-15-2006, 09:46 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01 Red WS6
There car wash was broken and it needed to be fixed. If it had been in proper working condition it wouldn't have happened.

I think they should pay for repairs regardless of what you have done to the car. What if another car had come in that sat lower or just as low as yours? I bet it could have also happened. A brick isn't a proper fix for something that needs welding
That is exactly my point... when this son of a gun talks to his boss this better be what comes out of there mouth...

if not.. what suggestions do you guys have to make things square?? park my company car out there with a sign?? They have some imigrant mexican dude standin out there flaggin cars in....... I think this may be something to play with?? suggestions fellas? at this point it may be cheaper to go with a TD setup??

based on my description and pics can someone give me a written estimate for repair.. know anyone in DFW that does muffler work and has invoices with letterhead?
Old 04-15-2006, 09:58 PM
10 Second Club

look at this ****..... ripped the o2 bung right off the header!!!
Old 04-15-2006, 11:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

From those pictures its hard to tell how the header really is I think someone would need to look at it all in person
Old 04-16-2006, 12:24 AM
9 Sec. Club!!!

Just give Ray a call he will fix you up..