Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

trying to understand "glaze"....

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 04:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trying to understand "glaze"....

Washed the hell out of my car today. wash with dawn, wash with dawn agian, claybar, wash with meguires, polish with scratchX, wash with meguires again, wax with meguires.

Looks good, but Im tryin to get some really incredible shine to it. I see stuff in the store called show car glaze, is this what im looking for?

Can I use it after Ive already waxed? If not what can I use?

Thanks.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:19 PM
TECH Resident

No you use it after polishing before the wax. It kinda is like a superfine polish, and it "nourishes" the paint. If you go to the Meguiars web site it'll give you a Rx and explain the products to you.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:22 PM
TECH Resident

thanks, so theres no product I can use now to get a great shine. Heard lots of good things sbout this Turtlewax ICE stuff
Old 04-15-2006, 04:26 PM
Teching In

ice is kinda weak...you have to work the hell out of it into the paint. its to greasy. i would HIGHLY reccomend just buying the zaino kit. you will not be dissapointed and youll never get a better shine
Old 04-15-2006, 04:29 PM
TECH Resident

Ill look into Zaino once my current stock of car wash stuff is gone...
Old 04-15-2006, 04:35 PM
TECH Resident

Zaino is supposed to be the schizz but exspensive as hell. I saw some of their schtuff for like $500 for an 8oz jar.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by firefighter
Zaino is supposed to be the schizz but exspensive as hell. I saw some of their schtuff for like $500 for an 8oz jar.
You're very confused...the most expensive Zaino product is $20.

You might be thinking of Zymol.

About glazes - they're usually an oily product which sometimes have light abrasives. They're used to fill minor defects and enhance the appearance before adding a carnauba wax.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:49 PM
TECH Resident

yea, maybe I wont be looking into Zaino then...

In the meantime, what could be put over waz to really bring out shine?
Old 04-15-2006, 04:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by vMaster0fPuppets
yea, maybe I wont be looking into Zaino then...

In the meantime, what could be put over waz to really bring out shine?
See the above post concerning the Zaino misunderstanding.

If you're not satisfied with the shine from your finish, you need to put more effort into the prep work before the wax. Wash, claybar, and polish your finish to remove contamination, swirls, etc. Then, the full color, depth, and shine of your paint will come through.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:58 PM
TECH Resident

Zane yeah you are right I'm thinkin of Zymol. Sorry.
Old 04-15-2006, 05:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ZaneO
See the above post concerning the Zaino misunderstanding.

If you're not satisfied with the shine from your finish, you need to put more effort into the prep work before the wax. Wash, claybar, and polish your finish to remove contamination, swirls, etc. Then, the full color, depth, and shine of your paint will come through.
No, the prep was done great, the things like a mirror now. THere are no swirls , though there are minor scratches that didnt come out with the scratchX (shopping carts, yada yada). Maybe it' because its a pewter car, but I just want a little more shine. And Im just tryin to figure out if theres something out there that will give it.
Old 04-15-2006, 05:13 PM
TECH Addict

No, the prep was done great, the things like a mirror now. THere are no swirls , though there are minor scratches that didnt come out with the scratchX (shopping carts, yada yada). Maybe it' because its a pewter car, but I just want a little more shine. And Im just tryin to figure out if theres something out there that will give it.
Carnauba waxes are going to offer a little more depth while sealants are going to offer more shine/reflection. Sounds like you might like a sealant.
Old 04-15-2006, 05:25 PM
TECH Resident

Sealents usually better for lighter colored cars?

and what would you recommend?
Old 04-15-2006, 05:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Pewter is a finiky color. You can get great shine out of it, but the depth is weird.

With colors like NBM and black, it can look like the entire thickness of the panel is that color offering just a rich and deep deep look. With pewter, Ive never really seen a car look like that. They shine up GREAT, but that depth just doesnt seem to be there IMO.

Its an old pic, but here's mine w/o a clay. The shine is but I just dont see that depth with pewter.
Old 04-15-2006, 05:41 PM
TECH Addict

Sealents usually better for lighter colored cars?

and what would you recommend?
Sealants and waxes are just personal preference.

There are several great sealant choices out there. *My* favorite is Zaino Z2 Pro.
Old 04-15-2006, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

too much washing (but that is another topic).

but I agree .. sound slike you are looking for more of a sealant than a wax..

I would suggest Meg's #20 .. works great on light colored metallics. (pewter/silver, etc) (I have never tried Zaino on a light metallic)

this was the only pic I could find ..

Old 04-15-2006, 06:26 PM
TECH Regular

I guess it's just that it's a pewter car but it doesn't seem to have a depth of color....just shiny....

not saying it's bad, it's a very good looking shot!! just saying it's a different look.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

I highly recomend you look into Klasse AIO and Klasse SG. These two combined are unbeatable in shine and protection (6 months with 4 layersof SG, no bullshit). They produce an EXTREMELY slick feel to the pain. This was a test I did on my own personal car so no, I did not just check up on someone else's and make a decision. I kept my car outside and washed it once a week with meguiar's gold class car wash soap. I should be more clear though. The water stopped beading after 6 months. These products are acrylics and not carnubas or sealants. They are made for harsh environments and stand up to it. They will not give a deep of look as a carnuba would but they are more reflective. Their actions are more like a sealant but are deeper looking than a true sealant. MY personal preference on Zaino is that it looks to much like shiny plastic when finished. I did go to Zaneo's site and look at his pictures and have to admit that his work did look really well and deeper than other zaino jobs I have seen. I also know that I did not see many of his pictures in the sun and that is usually when they look plasticy to me. (I am not downing/criticizing your work in any way zaneo). Another thing you can do is top the Klasse AIO with your choice of carnuba wax. You maintain that signiture slickness that AIO gives you while achiving a very deep finish from the carnuba. Sorry this was kind of long.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:40 PM
TECH Resident

No need to apoligize,k thanks for the info. I might look into that.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:58 PM
TECH Resident

Default Todays results

Heres some pics of how she stands now. I feel I did a pretty good job, and I think it looks better in real life than in the pics. List of excuses: Dark out because i spent the whole day washing the car, first time using my sisters camera, im no photographer, and yes it did just start raining as I was taking pictures after 6 hrs of detailing the car.

You can see my old v6

Hood looks the best

Like a mirror

I swaer in reality you can see the reflections of the camaro lettering and emblems, and me respectivly in the above 2 pictures

best pic to come out of my little shoot

So anything you guys notice i could have done better? Anything I could do now?

Quick Reply: trying to understand "glaze"....