Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Installing Autometer Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 01:37 AM
What's a Sticky?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installing Autometer Gauges

I am going to install two Autometer short sweep gauges in my car; water temp and oil temp. For any of you with these gauges, where did you put the sending units for the gauges at? And even though one of the gauges is water temp, I still want the factory water temp gauge in the dash to work too. Thanks.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:55 AM
TECH Resident

Im just making a guess here but if you put in the sending unit for the water temp gauge then the stocker wont work anymore. Unless somehow you splice the autometer gauge into the stock sending unit, but assuming that would work, you wouldnt get any accurate reading from it. So that would be kind of pointless.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:17 AM
TECH Addict

You're not going to splice into the existing water temp gauge or sending unit. The autometer sending unit fits into a drain plug on the passenger side of the block just below the #8 spark plug. You will need an adapter to make it work.
The oil temp sending unit mounts in an oil diverter plug right next to the oil filter and requires drilling and tapping a hole to accept the Autometer sending unit. There are a ton of writeups on this site. Search will provide more detailed instructions.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for the oil... i used the dummy plug above the oil filter.. it has 2 10mm bolts.. undo those.. you will see 2 holes... take the dummy plug.. drill it and tap it with a 1/8 NPT tap... the sending unit will screw right in.. did mine last week.. very easy, took me all of 40min.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:00 PM
What's a Sticky?

Originally Posted by parbreak
You're not going to splice into the existing water temp gauge or sending unit. The autometer sending unit fits into a drain plug on the passenger side of the block just below the #8 spark plug. You will need an adapter to make it work.
The oil temp sending unit mounts in an oil diverter plug right next to the oil filter and requires drilling and tapping a hole to accept the Autometer sending unit. There are a ton of writeups on this site. Search will provide more detailed instructions.
Ok, thanks a lot. Do you know what adapter I need for the water temp sender? Where exactly does this adapter go? And for the oil temp, I don't need an adapter or anything? I can just use what they gave me?
Old 04-16-2006, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 97MysticZ
Ok, thanks a lot. Do you know what adapter I need for the water temp sender? Where exactly does this adapter go? And for the oil temp, I don't need an adapter or anything? I can just use what they gave me?

You need this adapter from Equus:

http://www.autobarn.net/eqoilpreselt.html

This is the best and cheapest place I've found. I could never find the right adapter at any local auto stores. The adapter screws into the drain port just
below the #8 spark plug. You'll have to jack up your car and crawl underneath to see it. Be sure to thread the Autometer sending unit into the adapter first then screw the whole assembly into the block. Oil temp does not need an adapter. Just drill and tap to the Autometer size. Can't remember what size bit and tap you need. Someone else can chime in on that.
Old 04-16-2006, 02:25 PM
What's a Sticky?

This is the best and cheapest place I've found. I could never find the right adapter at any local auto stores. The adapter screws into the drain port just
below the #8 spark plug. You'll have to jack up your car and crawl underneath to see it. Be sure to thread the Autometer sending unit into the adapter first then screw the whole assembly into the block. Oil temp does not need an adapter. Just drill and tap to the Autometer size. Can't remember what size bit and tap you need. Someone else can chime in on that.
Okay, thanks a lot. I work at Goodyear so I will put it on a lift there. Do you know if any part stores would rent out a tap and die set? I don't have one of those. If not, im sure I can find somebody with one.
Old 04-16-2006, 02:30 PM
What's a Sticky?

Oh, there are like 4 or 5 adapters that come together in a kit from the link you gave me. What are the specs on the exact one that I need. Thanks again.
Old 04-16-2006, 02:51 PM
11 Second Club

Ok, My experiences with these gauges are.... The LT1 block has a dummy plug right above the oil filter for the oil temp gauge you can use the one of the fittings provided by autometer and screw it right into the block without drilling or taping the block. Heres a pic of the port.

I put my watertemp gauge sending unit in the location where the stock gauge get's its reading from, you won't be able to use the stock gauge & autometer one if you pick this location, but Like mentioned above you can use the plug on the passengerside head but it's a pain to get at with stock manifolds on.
Old 04-16-2006, 03:13 PM
TECH Addict

Oh, there are like 4 or 5 adapters that come together in a kit from the link you gave me. What are the specs on the exact one that I need. Thanks again.
It's been about 3 years since I did it, but I think it's the M12X1.5.
You'll see when you pull that drain plug which one matches up.

Bryan
Old 04-16-2006, 07:16 PM
What's a Sticky?

Originally Posted by SmokedOutZ28
Ok, My experiences with these gauges are.... The LT1 block has a dummy plug right above the oil filter for the oil temp gauge you can use the one of the fittings provided by autometer and screw it right into the block without drilling or taping the block. Heres a pic of the port.

I put my watertemp gauge sending unit in the location where the stock gauge get's its reading from, you won't be able to use the stock gauge & autometer one if you pick this location, but Like mentioned above you can use the plug on the passengerside head but it's a pain to get at with stock manifolds on.
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I dont have the LT1 anymore. I have a 98 Z28 now. I really need to change my sig.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:25 PM
TECH Addict

well on a 98... follow my instructions then..
Old 04-16-2006, 08:12 PM
11 Second Club

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I dont have the LT1 anymore. I have a 98 Z28 now. I really need to change my sig.
O, well that would make a difference then.. well good luck.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:19 PM
What's a Sticky?

Ok, we are straightened out now guys. Thanks for all the comments, I will be doing this as soon as my other gauge gets here. Thanks a lot!
Old 05-07-2006, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Would I be able to install a oil pressure sending unit using the same method shown above? thanks

Quick Reply: Installing Autometer Gauges