Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Autometer Gauges

Old 04-16-2006, 01:40 AM
What's a Sticky?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installing Autometer Gauges

I am going to install two Autometer short sweep gauges in my car; water temp and oil temp. For any of you with these gauges, where did you put the sending units for the gauges at? And even though one of the gauges is water temp, I still want the factory water temp gauge in the dash to work too. Thanks.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id like to know also?
Old 04-17-2006, 07:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

to the top
Old 04-17-2006, 08:09 PM
11 Second Club

what about splicing in to the ecu wire don't know if that will work but it might, then theres telling you yep senders so be prapered for t-fittings to retain stock sensors...
Old 04-29-2006, 04:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

I will be installing some gauges as well. I have a boost gauge, water temp, trans temp, and oil pressure. The water temperature gauge you can either put the sending unit in the passenger side head, or some use a location thats near the starter. I haven't done mine yet, so I am not totally sure on the exact location. Anyone have any write ups? thanks
Old 04-29-2006, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

as far as the water temp goes, you can put the sending unit in the rear of the passenger side cyl. head. This is what I did and it works great.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:49 AM
11 Second Club

for oil temp i drilled and tapped a hole in that little oil bypass thing by the oil filter.
for water temp you can put in the pass side head like everyone else said.
for tranny temp i ran a TEE off the cooler line going TO the tanny cooler. It's tha absolute hottest the fluid ever gets so thats the temp i wanted to know.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SUX2BU
for oil temp i drilled and tapped a hole in that little oil bypass thing by the oil filter.
for water temp you can put in the pass side head like everyone else said.
for tranny temp i ran a TEE off the cooler line going TO the tanny cooler. It's tha absolute hottest the fluid ever gets so thats the temp i wanted to know.
On my '69 I tapped the housing above the oil filter as well. I'm going to put the water temp sending unit in the block above the starter. I figure the heads get cooled first, so the reading will probably be higher in the block itself. My tranny sending unit is in the pressure port above the shifter linkage. It was the easiest place to put it at the time, but I'd like to relocate it to the line going to the cooler.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS69TA
On my '69 I tapped the housing above the oil filter as well. I'm going to put the water temp sending unit in the block above the starter. I figure the heads get cooled first, so the reading will probably be higher in the block itself. My tranny sending unit is in the pressure port above the shifter linkage. It was the easiest place to put it at the time, but I'd like to relocate it to the line going to the cooler.
Actually the heads are the hottest thing on the motor.
Old 04-29-2006, 01:10 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

oil temp liek everyone else has said is the block of above the filter.
water temp the pass side head should have a plug where you can put it but will need an adapter to it the autometer sender.
Old 04-29-2006, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah back of the pass head has a plug, thats for water temp. thats what i used. but i need some adapters for the sending unit to get it to fit right. i forgett where i got them and what size i ended up needing. but the hole in the head was larger than the sending unit. went in like budda!

Search this Thread