Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Thinking of going turbo???

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 04:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of going turbo???

Hey Guys, I am thinking of going turbo with my 02 SS, it is an A4 with a 3200 stall, a comp cam 232/238 595/605 on a 112 and mti stage 2 heads, and full bolt ons. The car has 36XXX miles and i was talked into H/c rather than going with the procharger . I like the H/C kit and I am really impressed with it, but I want more power all the time and my Dad is a forced induction guy and is willing to help me go turbo for graduation. I dont really want to go with the STS rear mounted,but who knows lol. Any suggestions for a good kit? Price?
Thanks, Chase
Old 04-16-2006, 07:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

im going through this right now and im almost done. i just want to say get ready to spend ALOT of MONEY. it is way more than i planned.

to answer your question, check out the GMR twin turbo kit.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check the sticky smokinHawk made It has most kits linked
If your old man has deep pockets get the TT Ill personally build my own kit but thats cause I GOT mADD skILLZ
Old 04-16-2006, 11:10 PM
TECH Regular

I could also go with ATI's procharger but with my setup do yall think it would be an over load on my motor??
Old 04-16-2006, 11:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, since you went with a H&C set up first, your heads might have been milled, bringing your compression higher...not good for either a turbo or supercharger...on a stock block LS1.

STS is a valid option,
ATI is also a great option.
GMR has a great single kit and good guys providing tech on their own kits.

Find out where your compression is at and start there. Might have to swap out the heads for something else...cam too to a specific s/c or turbogrind...might as well since you are there right?

J
Old 04-16-2006, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

d1sc kit fo sho bolts right up how high is your compression / heads milled?

you should have a good boost response with the stall
Old 04-16-2006, 11:26 PM
TECH Regular

Well, the thing is I would just like to buy the kit with some forged parts and install them lol with some more tuning. I mean redoing the heads and cam would be a total waste of money.. you know, I know damn well in this hobby you have to pay to play but ill find out what my compression is and go from there. I will get back to yall tommorow afternoon for more info if that is ok.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

your cam will work with the supercharger if your heads are milled try thicker head gaskets to make the diff
Old 04-17-2006, 12:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Modding a car is a total waste of money "you know", get a house. I kid of course, I have the same sick obsession that is FI.

No, redoing the heads and cam isn't a total waste of money, its key to making the car a reliable boosted LS1. If you plan on running high compression, plan on getting the tune dialed in PERFECTLY, and plan on keep the boost low on since you are still running stock pistons.

Sell the MTI heads for what they are worth, buy a set of 6.0 truck heads and that'll lower the compression to about 9.5-1 or a tad lower.

Yeah you can do the thicker headgasket thing, but its a band aid approach that is easily fixed by swapping out the heads for a set of 6.0 truck heads, might as well if you take the advice of installing thicker heads gaskets..you are right there and the heads are off Don't need to port and polish the 6.0 heads on a mild set up, now if you are planning a super street killer or a max effort build...yeah get em ported/polished.

what forged parts are you planning on buying with the kit? If you are planning on buying forged parts, the engine will be coming apart right? Do a complete rebuild for FI specific set up then. Forged rods, low compression forged pistons, head studs...stock crank is fine.

To get you in the ball park on a stocker LS1
6.0 truck heads/6.0 MLS GM headgaskets to replace the MTI heads if they are milled any.
Yeah you can run that cam
Fuel system, twin intank 255LPH walbro's(-8an Feed, -6an return, ADJFPR if you want to get that stuff out of the way too)
60lb mototrons or 42.5 SVO's if you plan on keeping it under 550rw
GREAT TUNE, cant specify that enough. That ought to hold you for two weeks, then you'll want to up the boost even more..

Then it'll be
FORGED LS1/6
Upgraded tranny/clutch
Upgraded rear
etc..etc...etc..
GL and welcome to the FI board
Old 04-17-2006, 12:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Throw a stroker crank in their and caller done if you need more nitrous
Old 04-17-2006, 07:32 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by frcefed98
Modding a car is a total waste of money "you know", get a house. I kid of course, I have the same sick obsession that is FI.

No, redoing the heads and cam isn't a total waste of money, its key to making the car a reliable boosted LS1. If you plan on running high compression, plan on getting the tune dialed in PERFECTLY, and plan on keep the boost low on since you are still running stock pistons.

Sell the MTI heads for what they are worth, buy a set of 6.0 truck heads and that'll lower the compression to about 9.5-1 or a tad lower.

Yeah you can do the thicker headgasket thing, but its a band aid approach that is easily fixed by swapping out the heads for a set of 6.0 truck heads, might as well if you take the advice of installing thicker heads gaskets..you are right there and the heads are off Don't need to port and polish the 6.0 heads on a mild set up, now if you are planning a super street killer or a max effort build...yeah get em ported/polished.

what forged parts are you planning on buying with the kit? If you are planning on buying forged parts, the engine will be coming apart right? Do a complete rebuild for FI specific set up then. Forged rods, low compression forged pistons, head studs...stock crank is fine.

To get you in the ball park on a stocker LS1
6.0 truck heads/6.0 MLS GM headgaskets to replace the MTI heads if they are milled any.
Yeah you can run that cam
Fuel system, twin intank 255LPH walbro's(-8an Feed, -6an return, ADJFPR if you want to get that stuff out of the way too)
60lb mototrons or 42.5 SVO's if you plan on keeping it under 550rw
GREAT TUNE, cant specify that enough. That ought to hold you for two weeks, then you'll want to up the boost even more..

Then it'll be
FORGED LS1/6
Upgraded tranny/clutch
Upgraded rear
etc..etc...etc..
GL and welcome to the FI board

Thank you for the info guys especially frcefed98 I really appericate it. I still dont know what im going to go with PROCHARGER OR TURBO AHHHHHHH!!!!!!
Old 04-17-2006, 09:35 AM
TECH Regular

ttt i need help lol
Old 04-17-2006, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

No problem
I'd say if you are starting out, go Procharger....I had a blast with mine and it was pretty easy to go fast with it once I got it dialed in....get the SDCE 8 rib set up tho...that helped me out a lot.
J
Old 04-17-2006, 02:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Once you do a turbo you will want to turbo everything you own!!!!!!!!!!! Hell I was thinkin the other day of how to fab one up on the ol lawnmower!!! But I think the 67mm turbo might be a little to big for that motor!!