Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need some help

Old 04-16-2006, 05:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some help

well, recently i got and installed a fuddle racing 3200 stall converter for my goat. since i had the trans down, i also finished installing my transgo shift kit, along with corvette servos. the thing is, im getting a sort of shudder or grinding or something weird that you can hear and it makes the car vibrate too. it happens on the freeway with 1/2 throttle in 3rd, light throttle shifts from 3rd to 4th, and light throttle acceleration in 4th. the rest of my transgo shift kit was installed a few weeks prior with nothing like this happening before. my question is, what could it be. did i mess up the converter install? (yes, it was seated properly) the new servos? or the fact that i put 2 gold shims on there? im thinking about putting the stock servos back in, and removing one shim, just to see if that will get rid of it. has anyone else had this problem before?
Old 04-16-2006, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

your experiencing converter clutch slip. This happens due to the size of the converter. Stock is around 12" and i think the fuddles as well as others are 9.5". So basically you lost alot of surface area that the clutch uses. So basically what your hearing is the clutch slipping(bet it sounds like when you sit in a wood chair and you go to get up from the table and you go to push the chair back, make a vibrating sound). There are a few things you can do but in the end it will still do it to some degree, just the nature of the beast.. You need to get tuning done on the trans pressure tables for the tcc apply. Page jimmyblue and ask him, i havent done it yet. You can also get some addative that prevents lock up clutch chatter. I did add some and it helped a little bit..

All in all dont fear it is working fine, just that the converer clutch is much smaller then stock and also made of a harder material so it doesnt slip quietly like the stock one did, and yes the stock one did slip you just couldnt hear it.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:39 PM
11 Second Club

yea, it sounds and feels like that. heres another part to that then, will it hurt the trans if i have a shift kit installed and up the pressure?
Old 04-16-2006, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

shift kit wont hurt it. One thing to note is that the sift kit will raise line pressure but wont increase tcc circuit pressure. You have to tune the tcc pressure. It works off of percentage of the line pressure. Ex line pressure is 100 psi and tcc pressure is 94 psi.. I think stock is 95% of line pressure gets applied to the tcc and you need to change it to 98% and even then its going to still slip.. Pm jimmyblue for the best answers as i have not done the tuning yet and he can explain way better than i can..

Search this Thread