Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stripped thread help

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 08:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stripped thread help

Help, I have been working on this motor forever. It has been completely rebuilt, and I was nearly done. I am using ARP head studs. One of the very last studs pulled the threads right out of the block.
How in the heck do I fix this? It is so deep into the block before the threads even grab. I believe there is not even a tap for this thread size.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:11 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well if the threads are stripped, you will not be able to simply re-tap, there won't be enough material.

You can probably take it to a machine shop and have it a Heli-coil put in, but this could be risky considering the application. Some people do say that heli-coil'd holes are stronger than drilled and tapped holes though.

Call up a speed shop or someone. I'm sure some of the guys from SAM (school of automotive machists) have seen this more than a few times and could help you. It would be a shame to junk a whole block because of one hole.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:20 PM
Teching In

I was putting my roller rockers back on and my thread stripped as well have you found out how to fix it. If so please let me know.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:22 PM
TECH Resident

hele-coil ive used hundreds in my day, they help up an 85 pound diesel starter for me for a year and i sold it but i bet its still holding