Moving to Texas ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 01:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Moving to Texas ?'s

Hello,

My wife and I are looking at possibly moving to Texas in the next year or so. I have alot of questions to ask and found that this may be the best place to come (people who actually live there).

My wife lived in Ft Worth and she loved it there...she said there is alot to do and very diverse...even better.

We have three kids also so schools are important.

The reason we are wanting to leave is that the cost of living here in Florida is going through the roof...I know its not as bad as some places such as in the NE but we both have very little family and are looking for a better quality of life.

Main problem is trying to find a job in my field...I am a geologist and I have environmental assessment and cleanup experience but nothing in the petroleum exploration field....I also do not want to get back into consulting where I am on the road all the time...I currently work with the local gov't but do not get paid what I could make elsewhere and also the job is becoming a rut and some BS red tape..lol...its just the cost of houses, taxes, etc. here are getting out of hand. All our money go to bills, etc and the third little one is due in Dec.

Any suggestions on location, etc? The housing there is much more affordable (about a 100K difference for the same thing) What are the Counties there? I do not have a TX map with me so I want to go online and check out the local govt. websites.

Thank you all for any help you can give.
Mike
Old 04-17-2006, 01:22 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As far as location goes...Just get into Texas.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:14 PM
Ginger Hater

stay out of fort worth isd schools. any surrounding area schools should be fine.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would say try north of fort worth around the I35 area, there is a lot of homebuilding going up there, and the schools are pretty good ( not FW ISD). My parents will probably be moving out there when my sister graduates from HS, and buying a house with some land. i think DFW has a more diverse group of employers, not everything there is oil related, but it is still there, not like in houston though.

Hope that helps alittle.

Josh
Old 04-17-2006, 02:19 PM
TECH Resident

iv lived in houston and austin and have family all over dallas. Houston has its good and bad points. It does have one of the largest job growths but only certain areas of the city are good for the kids and schools. Austin is great. Nice city nice people very diverse and laid back..ill prob be movin back there in the next few years as for dallas/ft worth, its such a big area im sure there are plenty of areas that have what your looking for.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would say a suburb of a city would be best. the schools are generally better (I know my high school, tomball high school, is a lot nicer than most HISD schools) and the cities are getting so crowded. I would say houston because its close to the coast and its pretty diverse.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:17 PM
TECH Addict

Any suggestions on location, etc? The housing there is much more affordable (about a 100K difference for the same thing) What are the Counties there? I do not have a TX map with me so I want to go online and check out the local govt. websites.

This may help you out some.
http://proagency.tripod.com/ttxcounties.html