Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Pinion seal leaking

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 01:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pinion seal leaking

Well I just completed the 10 bolt rearend rebuild and for a cost of $450.00 bucks thats about as cost effective as you can get the thing back on the road. All new bearings and seals with 4:10's, did have to buy a few speciality tools but I'm not counting that cost as all the tools can be used later.
Now here's the bitch, pinion seal leaking again. The pinion seal has leaked on this car from day one, at times it wouldn't even leak till you parked it just right and then oil was on the floor.
It appears that it might be leaking the worst it ever leaked this time and I was very careful to install the seal last after all pinion and carrier setup was complete.
Any solution to this problem, I put about 2-1/2 quarts of oil in it though the new TA cover and didn't check the old fill plug. Could I have over filled the thing?
Thanks for any info
Joe
Old 04-17-2006, 03:27 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

2.5 quarts is a fine, I always pack the inside of the seals with grease. This helps to keep a load on the seal so it will bead in easier. What did you load the pinion bearing to? I use an inch pound gage to set them all.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:02 PM
Banned

I think I found the solution to this. I've had 5 seals in my car in the past two weeks (don't ask).
I'd assume you took the stock inner seal off the yoke.
I tried a CR seal with the rubber seal around it and the bottom of the rear was always damp.
Last time I did it I used a CR seal, cleaned everything with brake cleaner and put some red loctite around the edge. Also greased the rubber lip. It's a little over filled too but it's dry as a bone on the bottom.