Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Down to the wire...I need your help!

Old 04-17-2006, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Down to the wire...I need your help!

Hey there fellas! Well, yet again its another true dual question. I know that this topic has been exhausted to death. Get it! Exhausted! but i have a question. My car currently has a Flowmaster catback. I have read that they flow like crap. So, when i decided to do true duals, I bought some sweet thunders. Here is the deal...all my piping for my true duals will be 3" BUT my sweet thunders are only 2.5" in diameter. Doh! Now, i am very picky about how i am going to set this up. I want a nice, crisp, loud exhaust..a lil rasp is ok, but i dont want that nasty rasp during decel.. i hate that noise! So i was wondering what do u guys think will sound better.

-QPT's to X-Pipe to sweet thunders (2.5")

or

-QTP's to X-Pipe to Flowmaster catback.

I would imagine that the flowmaster would flow less, but my main concern is the sound. Does anyone have the flowmaster setup above? I want to know which one of the setups u folks thinks will sound better. Remember i want a crisp sound, no raspy crap! Please guys, let me know what u think, or if u have any of these setups and how they sound. By the way, how much more will the sweet thunders flow? Exhaust will be tackled in about two days, please let me know ur toughts

-Marvin
Old 04-17-2006, 09:54 PM
Banned

Most great installers would like to know more about what your system actually is and goals you have in sight. Looks like that is accomplished. First, second, the next thing they are going to ask afterards now is why you don't get a tune, because that is the number one reason why you would not hear the rasp on decel when you're talking about running in a rich condition. Then third, right to the point of 'whether you should' or 'yea go ahead an do it' is the the grey area of 'what are the effects' you will, see afterwards. Remember the jedi theory 'mind the future, but not without regards to the present'. I don't think Yoda knew about mandrel bends but I'm sure as hell sure he knew better than to take his space cruiser to a station where they didn't have any experience in working on that kind!
Old 04-18-2006, 07:52 AM
Staging Lane

If I were you, I would definately utilize the opportunity, talk to your exhaust guy, and see what their true opinion is about the task. In addition, if you can cover all the bases such that you are clear on what the options are, more power to you.

Lastly, specifically, see if you have any references you can talk to, to discuss what was done and plan for the future (if not the very near future), that will play a huge role of advocate for research and experience and at the same time provide a plan for the plan.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:23 AM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My question is how do you plan to install an x-pipe before a flowmaster catback. Not being a smartass, just curious.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:43 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Coy
My question is how do you plan to install an x-pipe before a flowmaster catback. Not being a smartass, just curious.
i was wondering the same thing!
Old 04-18-2006, 08:44 AM
TECH Resident

if your worried about making your flowmaster not flowing so your going with tru duals why the hell would u even think about putting back on the flowmaster muffler, that 80 series is not tru dual and u will be wasting your money if u had custom tru duals made to merge back into a single muffler. so please think of somthing else lol get 2 single chamber flows or sumthin,oh and if u dont have it already that flowmaster will sound like *** with lt's & no cats if u ask me mine does.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:29 AM
Ric
TECH Enthusiast

There's a company in Michigan that makes 3" chambered mufflers called Powersticks. They don't neck down in the middle like some others do. Search the web and you'll find them. That may be something you could swap in instead of your Sweet Thunders, then sell the Sweet Thunders on the board... someone will gobble'em up right quick, I'm sure.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ls1mojo
If I were you, I would definately utilize the opportunity, talk to your exhaust guy, and see what their true opinion is about the task. In addition, if you can cover all the bases such that you are clear on what the options are, more power to you.

Lastly, specifically, see if you have any references you can talk to, to discuss what was done and plan for the future (if not the very near future), that will play a huge role of advocate for research and experience and at the same time provide a plan for the plan.
You are very much right in fact, I wouldn't hesitate to say you have a great option right there in the experience of talking to your guy and finding out what options there are remaining....regarding any specific ones.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Coy
That is an excellent question. My idea was to put the x pipe and then put pipes that lead from the x pipe around to the inlets of the flowmaster catback, i believe it has two ONE SECOND...........well i went outside and checked, only one inlet...so i guess ima scratch the flowmaster catback idea...thanks for the observation! i would have looked like a complet moron walking into that shop asking for an x pipe to be fabbed up to my flowmaster catback!!!
Old 04-18-2006, 02:30 PM
On The Tree

so know my plan goes back to the original one.

QTP's to 3" x pipe to 2.5" sweet thunder mufflers out the back through 2.5" tips (i like the stock looking apperance).

so what do you guys think? LSX24 said that the decel rasp problem could be taken care of by a tune, because this condition was a result of being rich? Unfortunately, i can't afford a tune right now. i am saving money for much needed bolt ons for the cam that will be coming very soon. so any idea of anything that can be done to avoid the rasp of the sweet thunders? will the fact that they are 2.5" mufflers of off 3" piping cause rasp or turbulance? thanks guys!
Old 04-18-2006, 04:29 PM
Banned

No, they won't, cause rasp because changing from a ypipe configuration, to a true dual configuration, eliminates all but the most sensitive rasp in an exhaust system; prognosis then lies with the sounds of the engine combined with the muffler alone but is inherently 'raspless'. If you are hearing rasp after going to true duals, there is either something awry with a component in the system (i.e. leak or restriction) or your <chuckle> ears need recalibration.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

3" x-pipe over the axle to 2 single chamber flowmaster mufflers. IMO this sounds awesome. Thats what im doing when I finally get another x-pipe to replace mine.

Search this Thread