Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help on long tube install on a 2002 WS-6

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 07:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on long tube install on a 2002 WS-6

looking for any directions on the quickest and most effective way to get some long tubes on an LS-1 (2002 WS-6) any help would be greatly appreciated, im trying to do it with a quickness, inside a period of no more than 4-5 hours. thanks for any input guys. also, opinions on expected gains with soem long tubes, and a full borla system, with cats still on. thanks guys
Old 04-17-2006, 07:25 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

use the sticky at the top of this forum...lots of info there.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139142
Old 04-17-2006, 07:26 PM
TECH Addict

What longtubes ? If you want SLPs on in that short a time you're probably SOL
Quickest way I know is get some air tools, a lift, a grinder, and a cutter/sawzall
The way I would do it, get it on a lift, unhook the battery, take the plug wires and AIR off, loosen the manifold bolts, and have someone underneath cutting the stock Y pipe, when the y pipe is cut away, undo the o2 sensor connectors, and take the bolts completely out of the manifolds, and drop them to the guy underneath.
The guy underneath hands up the headers, the top guy bolts them up, hooks up the AIR/EGR and plug wires (he can also change the plugs if needed), once that's all done, he then goes down to help put in the Y pipe, and hook up the o2s (front and rear). then for the Borla, jack up the rear of the car (by the LCA mounts, so the rear hangs) then cut the stock cat back out, and install the Borla
Hopefully you're done in 4-5 hours, if you don't want to wait for the car to cool off, wear gloves and a long sleeve shirt
Old 04-17-2006, 11:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hahaha, nice reply, so i dont need todismount the engine or drop the subframe or anything? the manifolds should just unbolt and the headers slip straight up into place?
Old 04-17-2006, 11:35 PM
TECH Addict

No you don't have to unbolt the engine, or drop the subframe. Now you may have to grind on the block tab on the drivers side, and take off some of the heat shielding, but they should pretty much slide right in
Depends on the car, I've done 2 sets now, on mine no grinding, on my buddies car I had to grind, but I didn't have to undo the steering shaft, or take the plugs out