Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ideal place to run wideband 02's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 12:12 PM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Question Ideal place to run wideband 02's?

Just wondering where most of you guys are running your wide band at? Right off the header w/ the original 02 is located? If so what are you doing w/ the OEM 02? I heard 12" down from the collector is ok as well but will it make that much of a difference in accuracy if so? Does it matter which bank it's on? Thanks for the help.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replace the stock O2 with the wideband. The way you avoid an error is to force the car into open loop. When in open loop, the PCM ignores the feedback from the stock O2's. I don't have any other DTC's because I attached a stock connector to my WBO2. This supplies my heater power/ground as well as a way for me to simulate the stock O2 with one of the WBO2's outputs. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten this part to work (which is why I still force the PCM into open loop). As for sides, I prefer the driver's side becuase that side tends to be a little leaner than the passenger side. But, that can differ from car to car.

Last edited by SSpdDmon; 04-18-2006 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Same here, wired in as NB also. Though I run open loop anyway so its not used.
The ideal situation is to run 2 widebands, one in each bank. Then the NB sim will be the same each bank as well as allowing you to average both banks for ve tuning etc.

Otherwise one bank is cool. Its probably worth swapping banks when you are done tuning just to make sure that the other bank isnt way off.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:26 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I keep mine in the driver's side header collector, where the narrowband would go if I ran closed loop (but I don't). I have it in a heatsink, but wasn't having and problems with overheating before putting that in (it was more of a preventative measure).

Wherever you put it, just make 100% sure that you don't have an exhaust leak upstream.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:49 PM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys. Forgot to mention I'll be running 2. One from the FAST XFI and the other a LC-1 unit. So I guess the NB's won't really matter then will it? If I decide to run all 4 is there a problem running the WB's a little further down the collector?

Again thanks for responding.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:56 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

If you are running a FAST XFI, you shouldn't have to worry about a narrowband sensor as it references a wideband, correct? Or am I thinking of something else?
Old 04-18-2006, 01:02 PM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

I guess you got a point there. But for some reason I thought I could still run my NB. XFI hasn't arrived yet so I really won't know for a few more days.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:04 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

If I remember right, it uses a wideband. That should be a wiring nightmare and a half
Old 04-19-2006, 12:54 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Hopefully it won't be as that's my #1 nemesis. WIRES!
Old 04-19-2006, 07:06 AM
DPS
Teching In

Here are some thoughts:

1. Maybe find out if the FAST will datalog wideband AFR.

2. Will one of the configurable outputs work for a gauge (AFR)?

If so, you may be able to eliminate the LC1. If I'm spending the $ on a standalone unit it better do everything.
In my opinion, if you are only going to run 1 WB I would put it in the collector just to cover both banks. 1 WB in each bank would be beneficial if you plan on running a fully sequential setup.
Again, these are just thoughts and opinions.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:29 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DPS
Here are some thoughts:

1. Maybe find out if the FAST will datalog wideband AFR.

2. Will one of the configurable outputs work for a gauge (AFR)?

If so, you may be able to eliminate the LC1. If I'm spending the $ on a standalone unit it better do everything.
In my opinion, if you are only going to run 1 WB I would put it in the collector just to cover both banks. 1 WB in each bank would be beneficial if you plan on running a fully sequential setup.
Again, these are just thoughts and opinions.
Yes it will log AFR. Don't know about the 2nd question however. I'm running bank to bank and not sequential but I'll still run both if I can.