Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

should I switch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 09:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default should I switch?

Im about to drop a '98 LS1/A4 into my '73 Datsun 240Z. I plan on sending my harness into Speartech to get modified and the question I have is should I have them convert it to a '99+ harness and pick up a '99+ ECM? Just trying to figure ou if it will be worth the trouble down the road with tuning, etc. and if I should then I would like to get it done now instead of re-doing it later since I have to modify the harness anyway.

BTW, since Im posting. Does anyone know any online sites that walk you through the process of modifying the harness? If I can do it myself I would like to and put the $500 elsewhere even though I hear Speartech does great work.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:41 PM
TECH Addict

Well, if you're going to go with a different year PCM OS, go for the '01/'02 as they are slightly easier to tune (no backup VE table). Just my $0.02.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:45 PM
Launching!

My son and I did it ourselves on a 3rd Gen conversion, we were on a budget. If you've got the service manuals for both cars and you've got some time and patience then do it yourself. We ended up redoing a couple of connections as we went along but all was good when we were ready to crank. Do a conversion table wire x to wire y kind of thing before you get started will help you out too.

If you don't have time or patience, call Speartech. He was kind enough to help me with a couple of questions as we did our own. He knows his stuff.

HPT just announced they are offering 2Bar support for 98s. I know there's a few other supposed "issues" with 98s but I think this was the biggie. Ours is a 98 and so far I haven't found anything that I want to view/change that I can't. It's NA right now so not trying to deal with any boost issues.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by crewchef
HPT just announced they are offering 2Bar support for 98s. I know there's a few other supposed "issues" with 98s but I think this was the biggie. Ours is a 98 and so far I haven't found anything that I want to view/change that I can't. It's NA right now so not trying to deal with any boost issues.
Yeah, Im really leaning to send my harness to Speartech only because I KNOW it will be right instead of chasing gremlins for a few weeks. Wiring doesnt scare me but $500 is a small price to pay to KNOW its going to be right.

As far as the switch to the '99+ ecm, my main concern is picking up EFILIVE and finding out I will be limited or making things harder on myself when I start tuning. If I will be able to tune just as good with the '98 ECM then Ill stick with it.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

If money isn't really an issue, go for the '99 stuff, but you aren't going to be gaining much. If I were in your shoes, I'd just replace the 98 knock sensor's with some 99+ sensors, then get HPT with 2 bar (or 1 bar if its released by then) and call it a day. Tuning a 98 isn't really much/any different than the newer cars once you do the HPT SD upgrade.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SMOKINV8
If money isn't really an issue, go for the '99 stuff, but you aren't going to be gaining much. If I were in your shoes, I'd just replace the 98 knock sensor's with some 99+ sensors, then get HPT with 2 bar (or 1 bar if its released by then) and call it a day. Tuning a 98 isn't really much/any different than the newer cars once you do the HPT SD upgrade.
OK so whats the difference in the 99+ knock sensors vs the 98's? And would I be able to tune it like a '99+ by just swapping the knock sensors and still using the '98 computer? Also is there a advantage of a 1 bar setup over a 2 bar? I dont plan on running any boost so I dont see a need for more than a 1 bar setup anyhow.

BTW, I WAS planning on running EFILive but is HPT any better or that just what you use? I havent even really compared the two so I dont know but just a quick glance I see its a SD setup like you said but I was just going to run a MAF anyway since I dont really see a need to convert unless its going to help tremendously.

Sorry for all the questions but 99% of my life with cars has been around a carb so Im still green at all this.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

The 98 knock sensors are pretty well known for reporting false knock. Mine haven't been terribly problematic (on my 98), but I'll be replacing them soon regardless. GM even put out a TSB for dealers to replace the 98 model knock sensor's with newer one's to fix the problem.

There isn't any advantage in getting 2 bar over 1 bar if you're N/A. You're basically getting the upgrade (to either one) for the enhanced SD features, its just that 2 bar support costs another $50.

I use HPT and it works great for me. Sometimes I don't get a response for technical support as soon as I would like, but their product is great (and they're the only one's offering SD enhanced for 98's right now). I don't have any personal experience with EFILive, but check the stickies for more info, there's a debate thread or two linked in them.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

Thanks alot smokinv8, you have been a lot of help. I actually spent some time on HPT's site last night and am seriously confused at all the way they have it all setup, which I hear is a reason a lot of noobs go to efilive. All the credits was driving me nuts and I finally decided Im going to stick to efilive. I played around with their stuff and really like the whole layout and ordering it is very basic. Im not worried about going SD right now anyway but efilive does offer free software upgrades so if they do offer it I should be able to d/l it then.

Ill replace the knock sensors as well, that was very useful info.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:49 PM
TECH Junkie

I would go with a 99+ pcm. There are a lot more options for them as far as custom OS's go.

EFILive is the best tuning suite on the market hands down. If you can hold off on your purchase for a few more weeks, Live will come with the new V2 interface cable.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:55 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

With HP Tuners, we give you all sorts of licensing options.

Here is a couple of screenshots of how our licensing actually works:

License Activation:
http://www.hptuners.com/help/vcm_edi...activation.htm

License Information:
http://www.hptuners.com/help/introdu...cense_info.htm

All VCM Suite orders come with 8 credits standard, you can add more upfront or at a later date any time.

Per our VCM Suite Features list:
http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2936

General - Licensing Samples
With your VCM Suite order, you'll receive 8 GM credits. If 8 are not enough, you can purchase more at any time. With 8 credits though, you can unlock licenses like the following:
• 4 LS1 Single Vehicles
• 2 LS1 Single Vehicles and 1 LS2 Single Vehicle
• 2 LS2 Single Vehicles
• 1 LS1 Year/Model and 1 2 Bar VCM Enhancement
• 3 LS1 Single Vehicles and 2 1 Bar VCM Enhancements
• 1 LS1 Single Vehicle and 1 2 Bar VCM Enhancement with 4 credits remaining!
• Many more configurations possible!

So, using HP Tuners it depends on how you license your vehicle. If you license it as a year/model license, than you can tune an unlimited number of vehicles of that particular year/model combination. If you license it as a single vehicle (lower cost), you will be able to tune that particular vehicle and unlimited number of times.

Also, another solution that we offer that others do not is a low up front cost solution to go from single vehicle licenses to year/model licenses.

For example, Lets say you're not sure you want to license your vehicle as a year/model (6 credits), so you chose the single vehicle license instead (2 credits).. Well, if you license 3 more single vehicle licenses of the same year/model type, you automatically get the year/model license for free. You don't have to send your interface back to us or e-mail us for an upgrade. Its automatic in the software.

To take this example further.

You license your 2002 Silverado as a single vehicle, (2 credits)
You license another 2002 Sierra as a single vehicle, (2 credits)
You license another 2002 Silverado as a single vehicle, (2 credits)

You have spent 8 credits on 2002 Silverado/Sierra single vehicle licenses. Per our upgrade credyt system, you recieve 75% of that toward the year/model upgrade. Since 75% of 8 is 6, and the year/model license requires 6 credits, you automatically receive it for free and now can tune an unlimited number of 2002 silverados and sierras.

Our credit system may seem a little complicated at first, but once you start to use it you will see that its far superior to any other licensing system currently available. Its all about giving you as many options as possible and creating many paths to go from a low up front cost tuning solution toward a full blown tunershop package.

Hope this helps.

- Keith, HP Tuners
Old 04-20-2006, 05:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Magnus
With HP Tuners, we give you all sorts of licensing options.

Here is a couple of screenshots of how our licensing actually works:

License Activation:
http://www.hptuners.com/help/vcm_edi...activation.htm

License Information:
http://www.hptuners.com/help/introdu...cense_info.htm

All VCM Suite orders come with 8 credits standard, you can add more upfront or at a later date any time.

Per our VCM Suite Features list:
http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2936

General - Licensing Samples
With your VCM Suite order, you'll receive 8 GM credits. If 8 are not enough, you can purchase more at any time. With 8 credits though, you can unlock licenses like the following:
• 4 LS1 Single Vehicles
• 2 LS1 Single Vehicles and 1 LS2 Single Vehicle
• 2 LS2 Single Vehicles
• 1 LS1 Year/Model and 1 2 Bar VCM Enhancement
• 3 LS1 Single Vehicles and 2 1 Bar VCM Enhancements
• 1 LS1 Single Vehicle and 1 2 Bar VCM Enhancement with 4 credits remaining!
• Many more configurations possible!

So, using HP Tuners it depends on how you license your vehicle. If you license it as a year/model license, than you can tune an unlimited number of vehicles of that particular year/model combination. If you license it as a single vehicle (lower cost), you will be able to tune that particular vehicle and unlimited number of times.

Also, another solution that we offer that others do not is a low up front cost solution to go from single vehicle licenses to year/model licenses.

For example, Lets say you're not sure you want to license your vehicle as a year/model (6 credits), so you chose the single vehicle license instead (2 credits).. Well, if you license 3 more single vehicle licenses of the same year/model type, you automatically get the year/model license for free. You don't have to send your interface back to us or e-mail us for an upgrade. Its automatic in the software.

To take this example further.

You license your 2002 Silverado as a single vehicle, (2 credits)
You license another 2002 Sierra as a single vehicle, (2 credits)

You have spent 8 credits on 2002 Silverado/Sierra single vehicle licenses. Per our upgrade credyt system, you recieve 75% of that toward the year/model upgrade. Since 75% of 8 is 6, and the year/model license requires 6 credits, you automatically receive it for free and now can tune an unlimited number of 2002 silverados and sierras.

Our credit system may seem a little complicated at first, but once you start to use it you will see that its far superior to any other licensing system currently available. Its all about giving you as many options as possible and creating many paths to go from a low up front cost tuning solution toward a full blown tunershop package.

Hope this helps.

- Keith, HP Tuners
Yeah I had a discussion about this with Horist over PM's and while it may just be me it jsut seems way too complicated and all I think is Im gonna get screwed out of money after I recieve it and figure out I need to get more credits for this and more credits for that and never even tune any other PCM except mine. Like I said I have had it explained a little more simply and Im leaning towards getting HPT now only because it seems to offer more features (ex. SD OS) for '98 PCM's. Only downside is even though I know the HPT comes with a black box it, along with the software doesnt seemed quite as refined as efilive. I really like the dash and also the handheld programmer for efilive. Being able to take the programmer inside, hook it up to my PC, download the data, tweak it on my pc and then flashing my PCM with no laptop is very interestesting but who knows.

Anyway just a noobs $.02 on what I have seen from both companies. Like I said Im leaning towards HPT but i still dont know.