General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Lifter Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 01:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifter Problems?

My engine ticks. Usually louder when its cold but when I start the car there is this odd ticking comming from the driverside. It only lasts for a while though, once the engine warms up, it goes away. I looked under the hood and I found a nut on the heat shield had broken off of the bolt.

i.e. The heat shield sits on top of the nuts that hold the headers to the engine. Another nut goes on top of that to keep the heatshield from falling off. The outer most nut has broken off with a piece of the bolt. Lame huh?

Anyways, I did a search on here and I found that ticking = piston slap or dying lifters. Seeing that I do not have a LS1 ( 02 3.8L Camaro 80k, oh boy you didn't want to see what insurance would have been on a LS1 ) that rules out piston slap. So it is either my lifters going bad or this stupid heat shield stuff. However, I doubt it is the heat shield because of the fact that it doesn't seem to vibrate/knock against anything when I revv the engine. Which leaves bad lifters for the only problem left.

Lifters are right around the pushrods/springs/all that junk correct? If not, please correct me.

So, I guess that i'd have to tear apart the heads and replace the lifters. Which seems like a waste to me without replacing/upgrading my springs/rocker arms/valves/stuff like that. Do you guys recommend any parts/companies taht make this stuff. I know there are quite a few out there, I just don't know who makes quality parts that don't break.

I'm kind of new to engine internals, so you'll have to excuse me if I seem like an idiot.
Old 04-21-2006, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't help but here's a bump.. I think you're on the right track to want to upgrade the other valve train components at the same time.. 'sides it's good practice for when you get up to the LS1.. if you go to howstuffworks.com and just search for "engine" you can see an animation the combustion cycle and the the basic relationship between the cam/lifters/valves etc.