PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mail order tune or street tune??

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 03:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default mail order tune or street tune??

i am going to be getting a cam with all the bolt ons, stall, and gears. i dont know which to do. if i get a mail order tune and a tsp cam should i just get a tune from tsp or is there someone else that will do it better. i want a good tune that will help the car idle good and not stall. any info would be great thank you
Old 04-20-2006, 03:22 PM
12 Second Club

A street tune is going to be better if you have some one who knows what there doing. Mail order tunes just guess based off what they have seen with similar combos it will get you close but a good street tune will always be better.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i dont really know anything about the guy. his name is sam (streenstrip) from streetnstrip. he is from the pittsburgh area, anyone ever heard of him or anything??
Old 04-20-2006, 03:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ditto to 99orange

imho it goes street tune w/wideband, dyno tune, mail order tune , mail order should really only be used for minor changes, but not for performance (unless you can find someone to work with you where you send them logs and they make changes)

I've never heard of the individual you named above though...
Old 04-20-2006, 08:48 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

After messing with tuning for only 3 months, I can see that a mail order tune can't be even close to accurate. I would think that the more mods that you have, the more difficulty the mail order tuner will have getting it close.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:07 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

On this subject generally I agree with Horist et al, though as time has gone on, with the software suites/ mods availble today for LSx series cars mail order tuning has come a long way. In the past, with unproven software, mods, disasterous results were common place with mail order tuning. The market has and will continue to correct it'self. Crappy tunes wether by mail or in person will only screw so many before the word gets out and conversely those who have survived are doing pretty good for never even sat in the vehicle. An in person, quality tune with a wideband cannot be beat hands down but, this is not an option for everyone in their local so, quality mail order can be a good thing for those in remote parts of the country.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:05 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Doc
On this subject generally I agree with Horist et al, though as time has gone on, with the software suites/ mods availble today for LSx series cars mail order tuning has come a long way. In the past, with unproven software, mods, disasterous results were common place with mail order tuning. The market has and will continue to correct it'self. Crappy tunes wether by mail or in person will only screw so many before the word gets out and conversely those who have survived are doing pretty good for never even sat in the vehicle. An in person, quality tune with a wideband cannot be beat hands down but, this is not an option for everyone in their local so, quality mail order can be a good thing for those in remote parts of the country.
I agree on the mail order tune.... I had a 98WS6 that had a decent Head and Cam package on it. The tune was a mail order from Ed Wright. It ran very well, 12.1 at 112 (A4 car). The car never had any issues and was a great dailiy driver. After I got the mail order tune I drove it for a year than put an NX system on it and had it dyno tuned. The car was .5 slower with the NX kit than it was with the old tune. Just goes to show you no matter what it is all in how much the tuner knows and is willing to work with you. My currrent setup (In Sig) runs well but I am actually sending my computer to Ed Wright to tune this car. The current tune was done on a dyno.

Good Luck.

Bill
Old 04-21-2006, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

A good mail order tuner can get you very close.. A prime objective of any mail order tuner is to take care of all of the part throttle tuning, idle tuning, emmissions deletes, fans, all the simple stuff

Making the all out max power sits backseat to making sure that the car drives great. IMHO

I've done two cars with TR 230/224's in the past 2 weeks. (98 Formula and 00 Z) In both the driveablity turned out really well on the first guess and needed to only be slightly touched up. If both cars had Lterms less than 6 AVG across the board on my first guess what does that tell you? hopefully that it is possible to see trends in how this stuff works

My point is your first guess if seasoned should get the car driving really well. You may find that the particular car responds better with different timing on the dyno but you will definately not be able to tell on the street. Use of a track (if the car is consistant) or dyno is imperitive

My case on that is this... I helped some guys last wednesday tune in a car that they tuned in on the street. They where pretty confident the timing they chose was making the most power.. After seeing what the car liked on the dyno we found 18rwhp. AFR before and after was spot on. (they did a really great job on fueling before we even touched it)

If I was a fresh guy that just bought HPtuners or EFIlive I would strongly consider buying a base file from someone seasoned if the car had a cam in it just to get me going in the right direction. Especially on idle and what you can do w/ part throttle timing. The learning curve is a bit steep on this stuff. Its by no means rocket science but its not entirely intuitive either.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Alvin
A good mail order tuner can get you very close.. A prime objective of any mail order tuner is to take care of all of the part throttle tuning, idle tuning, emmissions deletes, fans, all the simple stuff

Making the all out max power sits backseat to making sure that the car drives great. IMHO

I've done two cars with TR 230/224's in the past 2 weeks. (98 Formula and 00 Z) In both the driveablity turned out really well on the first guess and needed to only be slightly touched up. If both cars had Lterms less than 6 AVG across the board on my first guess what does that tell you? hopefully that it is possible to see trends in how this stuff works

My point is your first guess if seasoned should get the car driving really well. You may find that the particular car responds better with different timing on the dyno but you will definately not be able to tell on the street. Use of a track (if the car is consistant) or dyno is imperitive

My case on that is this... I helped some guys last wednesday tune in a car that they tuned in on the street. They where pretty confident the timing they chose was making the most power.. After seeing what the car liked on the dyno we found 18rwhp. AFR before and after was spot on. (they did a really great job on fueling before we even touched it)

If I was a fresh guy that just bought HPtuners or EFIlive I would strongly consider buying a base file from someone seasoned if the car had a cam in it just to get me going in the right direction. Especially on idle and what you can do w/ part throttle timing. The learning curve is a bit steep on this stuff. Its by no means rocket science but its not entirely intuitive either.

im confused sorry...are you saying that you think a mail order tune would be ok or to get a different tune thanks