General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Detonation.....caused by not having knock sensor?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 04:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detonation.....caused by not having knock sensor?!?!

So i went to a performance shop today and had my future car checked out and it was detonating and the guys took out the car with a scanner and said that the cars knock sensors werent picking up knock.....SOOOOOOO he said replace the knock sensors so the computer can pull timing to stop the knock....

DOes that make any sense?

Do our cars detonate so much that the knock sensors are that mandatory??

How hard are knock sensors to replace?!
Old 04-20-2006, 04:42 PM
TECH Resident

LS1 V8? There's several things that can cause pinging. I would imagine if the sensors were bad the CEL would be lit. Have you done a search?
Old 04-20-2006, 04:48 PM
Staging Lane

i have done a seach and i cant find something thats the same as i got

and its pinging, but the scanner said that it wasnt getting any knock retard from the sensors.

Do our cars really ping naturally and rely on the sensors to keep it under control?
Old 04-20-2006, 06:48 PM
TECH Resident

Well, let's see. 10.1 CR is close to the threshold for running pump fuel. My Camaro suffers from it from time to time and I'm trying some different things to keep it from happening. I have installed a catch can inline of the PCV system, that helps keep the engine from trying to burn oil introduced into the intake from the PCV system. Next I'm changing the thermostat and gonna reprogram the car to run cooler because 210 degrees in engine temp before the fans kick in is rediculous. Maybe your soon to be has a tank full of 87 regular grade gas in it. That'll do it too.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:08 PM
Staging Lane

nah it cant i was there to witness 93 go in, i think it just needs those knock sensors, and im gonna replace em myself and i saved 350 he took off the car!
Old 04-21-2006, 08:09 AM
On The Tree

get knock sensors. definatly. knock sensors advance the timing while ur putting more throttle into the car. so u floor it, say ur car stays at 13 degrees for example. itll be that right accross the board. so ur losing A LOT of power. without having knock sensors its basically the same thing as having the old school vaccuum advance on the distributors disconnected.
knock sensors allow the timing to automatically advance during WOT operation.

i didnt have them go on my car, but i had a 02 sierra with a knock sensor gone. i had NO power. i noticed a huge gain by changing. went from not being able to spin. to being able to leave a 20 ft patch with 35" tires.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:24 AM
Staging Lane

I understand itll let the timing go up, but im gettin actual detonation from it! not tryin to fix false knock, i got REAL KNOCK
Old 04-21-2006, 09:21 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Roadhouse
Well, let's see. 10.1 CR is close to the threshold for running pump fuel. My Camaro suffers from it from time to time and I'm trying some different things to keep it from happening. I have installed a catch can inline of the PCV system, that helps keep the engine from trying to burn oil introduced into the intake from the PCV system. Next I'm changing the thermostat and gonna reprogram the car to run cooler because 210 degrees in engine temp before the fans kick in is rediculous. Maybe your soon to be has a tank full of 87 regular grade gas in it. That'll do it too.
u do know that ur coolant temp guage is an idiot light right? thats not the actual temperature. it will just show if ur overheating or not. only 98's had an actual temp guage reading. all other years had an idiot light that read at 210 all the time no matter what UNLESS it was overheating.

and yes, change ur damn knock sensors ha ha.