Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pros and Cons on "drill Mod"

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pros and Cons on "drill Mod"

I've read some things about drilling the restictor out of the clutch line. I was wondering if there is any bad things to be said about doing this mod, or If I'm stupid to not do it. Also will it crap my rear end out quicker? I dont have money for a 12 bolt yet. HAHA.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:47 PM
wrencher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No cons really, just more fluid flow. It is a necessity w/ a repalcement performance clutch IMO to be able to utilize it. But even stock it will help.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could definately see it being harder on the rear end. I did the drill mod and notice that there is more of a shock to the rear end if I'm not careful. I think the reason they made a restriction in the 1st place was to protect the dinky, glass jaw rear end.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:05 AM
TECH Resident

The restriction is also there to help prevent take off stalling.

With normal driving the mod will not add any stress to the driveline. This may seem silly but it is possible to be more "careful" when shifting hard but with wot power shifts all bets are off. The disadvantage without the mod is missed third shifts under power where potential engine and driveline damage becomes quite possible. As you already know, this is what the mod is all about. I didn't even consider not doing it....
Old 04-21-2006, 10:59 AM
TECH Resident

is it doable without taking everyhting out, ive never looked for the line underneath but is it possible to just take off the line from underneath and do it and reinstall it.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The actual reason it is there is to protect the propshaft from the unresticted impacts.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:22 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by rgaynor85
is it doable without taking everyhting out, ive never looked for the line underneath but is it possible to just take off the line from underneath and do it and reinstall it.
You can do it that way, but you must still bleed the clutch and it would be hard to do underneath the car and bleed the system from there as well.....
Old 04-21-2006, 11:35 AM
TECH Resident

I sure don't think it's possible to do it on the car. I couldn't even see the bottom of slave cylinder let alone work on it behind the vacuum boost. To get the roll pin out of the housing takes a vice, a 1/8" round shank of anything handy and some luck. getting the line back in and the roll pin installed is just as tricky. I had the cylinder and line off the car in less than a half hour and the line off the cylinder within minutes. The whole unit can be cleaned and bled out with a vice and three hands. I was very lucky I guess because I had it back on in the same amount of time. Much of it was done by sense of touch. When the slave cylinder studs found their way into the firewall holes I went back into the car with pliers and grabbed what I could and pulled it into place. The most difficult part was hooking the linkage back up to the pedal. It was just one of those things where the fastener wouldn't cooperate.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by rgaynor85
That would probably be harder than just pulling the whole thing out.

The only bad thing about this mod is that its not exactly a 5-min job.
Old 04-22-2006, 05:00 PM
12 Second Club

so how long would it take to yank it out, does it have to be done from the bottom?
Old 04-26-2006, 08:49 PM
12 Second Club

Im with you on this... i didnt even know that NOT doing this mod with my textralia clutch is more than likely why i keep missing my god damn shifts. its like my foot was too fast for the clutch. i had no clue what it was. its gotta be this! lol i really hope it is! :-D

So how long does this take? Is it tough? I've read the install univerity write up, but even still, the voice of experience is always appreciated.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:05 PM
TECH Resident

It took a friend and I 4 hours.. first try we didn't drill straight and went through the line, 2nd time drill bit broke in there. Third try we got it, of course the 4 hours was including the trips to the parts store and sitting upside down in the seat trying to replace the cylinder.

when you have it in the vice have someone hold the tube straight, then you yourself drill straight. Also use good drill bits not some POS cheapos...
Old 04-26-2006, 10:55 PM
12 Second Club

That doesnt sound too bad... I might try and tackle this tomorrow along with bleeding the lines in hopes to erase all my clutch woes.