General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

car keeps stalling - mechanic claims it needs a new computer chip??

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 09:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default car keeps stalling - mechanic claims it needs a new computer chip??

its not on my car..its on my sisters neon...a mechanic told her she needs a new computer chip..i am just curious how someone could know this??
the car i guess starts for a while then just stalls out...couldnt that be a number of things
so basically, you wouldnt have to buy a new computer, just need to plug it in to a scan tool, and have it tuned, right??
thanks
Old 04-20-2006, 10:16 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless there's something actually damaged in the PCM, that doesn't sound very likely to me. Maybe the guy couldn't figure out what the actual cause was, and decided to try a random costly swap and hope that might fix it.

I have had an old TCM get damaged and go senile, so I guess something similar could happen with the PCM, particularly if she's got one of the early Neons (think they've been around since 1993), but that kind of situation seems pretty uncommon.

Don't know details on what exactly might be causing that on your Neon, but there's probably several other possible causes that would be more likely.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:43 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like hell. There aint nothing wrong with that ECM. VERY uncommon. But VERY expensive repair. Sounds like a fueling or ignition issue. Check you coil(s) and your fuel filter(but be prepared, the fuel filter on Neons is HUGE and very expensive also) My .02